Ok - so thats not that cold, but I am new to this. Some comments I thought of while out this morning:
1. I used a 'Hannibal Lector' mask so that it would keep my face warm and get my lungs used to the cold air gradually. It is a trigger for my asthma when I just suddenly get a cold blast of air. It worked well until I really started working, then my glasses were fogging up too much, so I slid the mask down so that my mouth was behind the nose hole (larger hole than the little holes over the mouth section). Kept my face warm, and let me get more air in.
2. Cycling wind breakers work MUCH better when the 'pit flaps' are zipped shut. Check that before you ride. Really - it keeps you much warmer
3. I NEED BOOTIES !!! God, I can't believe I said that. I had a hard time finding shoes for my clown feet (49) so I eagerly snapped up the first pair I could find. I BRIEFLY thought about how mesh shoes would fare in colder weather, but figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it. Well, I drove off that bridge faster than a Kennedy. I thought I would have Mount Everest toes when I got back home, but luckily no frostbite. Nashbar, justify my love and get me those booties, and i hope they fit !!! Otherwise, I will be cannibalizing wool socks.
4. Ever notice that your headlight always runs out of juice at the BEGINNING of rides ? Never at the end as you pull in your driveway.
5. One bonus of riding in cooler weather - your butt never hurts from sitting wrong on the seat. In fact, I may still be sitting on tacks and not know it. Maybe the feeling will return in the spring....
Luckily, in mild Maryland, 30 - 40 deg is most of what I will have to face this winter, and I am close to being prepared for that.