Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-06, 06:28 PM   #1
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Winter Century Photos

I finally got them developed!

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...=/586d&.src=ph

The first couple are from last year, and the rest are from my January and February centuries this year.


Plus ... I added a couple shots of the area around my college, taken on one cold and very frosty morning:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...ce.jpg&.src=ph
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...d4.jpg&.src=ph


And a shot of the type of cycling I've been doing for the past month:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...4b.jpg&.src=ph
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 08:40 PM   #2
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Bikes: A few.
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're a marvel, Machka. Truly, marvelous.
__________________
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 06:56 AM   #3
lrzipris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philadelphia suburb
Bikes:
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
And a shot of the type of cycling I've been doing for the past month:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...4b.jpg&.src=ph
How in the world did you tolerate that tight little space? I felt claustrophobic just looking at the photo! At the least, you could have mounted a screen and projected images of vast open spaces.... <grin>
lrzipris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 11:50 AM   #4
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrzipris
How in the world did you tolerate that tight little space? I felt claustrophobic just looking at the photo! At the least, you could have mounted a screen and projected images of vast open spaces.... <grin>

Believe me, it was NOT easy!! The brown box to the left of the bicycle (you can just barely see it there) is a TV which kept me company ... and in front of me (probably just out of view) is my computer monitor on which I would have a nice picture of some sort.

That room, believe it or not, is my office .... that's where I do all my homework and most my living when I am at home. I call it my "dungeon". Thankfully, it is only temporary .... but it really makes me appreciate cycling outside!!!!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 12:12 PM   #5
joeprim
Senior Member
 
joeprim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you're Fantastic
Joe
joeprim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 12:39 PM   #6
lrzipris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philadelphia suburb
Bikes:
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
That room, believe it or not, is my office .... that's where I do all my homework and most my living when I am at home. I call it my "dungeon". Thankfully, it is only temporary .... but it really makes me appreciate cycling outside!!!!
Your interest in riding endless hours and kilometers has always been admirable. It is now also absolutely understandable! <grin>
lrzipris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 08:00 PM   #7
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrzipris
Your interest in riding endless hours and kilometers has always been admirable. It is now also absolutely understandable! <grin>

Cycling is my ESCAPE!!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-06, 08:00 PM   #8
Thomill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zion, Illinois
Bikes:
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
Cycling is my ESCAPE!!
Hard CORE!

Just awesome!
T
__________________
10 RIDE BIKE
20 GOTO 10
30 WORK
RUN
Thomill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 01:16 AM   #9
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You rock, Machka. I hope you can get off the trailer soon and out into the open air.

Just to make you jealous, here a pic from today's 107 mile ride, including 20 miles of gravel and trail as part of the linkup.... temps up to the mid 40's. I guess it's now officially 'spring' so this doesn't really count as a winter century...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tripletrailbike.jpg (82.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-26-06 at 01:23 AM.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 05:52 PM   #10
lrzipris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Philadelphia suburb
Bikes:
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you get that mud flap at a truck stop? <grin>
lrzipris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 01:08 AM   #11
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist
You rock, Machka. I hope you can get off the trailer soon and out into the open air.

Just to make you jealous, here a pic from today's 107 mile ride, including 20 miles of gravel and trail as part of the linkup.... temps up to the mid 40's. I guess it's now officially 'spring' so this doesn't really count as a winter century...
Well, I finally did it today ...

Date: March 26, 2006
Riders/Name: Machka
Ride name: March Madness
Location: Red Deer
Group or solo ride: Solo
Ride [total] time: 9:15 hours
Ride [on bicycle] time: 8:15 hours
Ride distance: 163.5 kms (101.6 miles)
Average temperature: Low = +1C/ High = +6C

You've no idea how great it felt to be out there!!! Sorry, no pics, but the route was basically the same as the February century and the scenery hasn't changed ... just a bit more snow this time.

But ... despite the fact that there was more snow ... this is the first century I've done since September where the whole thing was in positive temps. That was wonderful!

Last edited by Machka; 03-27-06 at 01:40 AM.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:40 AM   #12
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious -- Is the convenience store in the photo "March2005_RMH_CenturyBreak" by any chance at the corner of 55th Street and 45th Ave?
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 04:37 PM   #13
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcb
I'm curious -- Is the convenience store in the photo "March2005_RMH_CenturyBreak" by any chance at the corner of 55th Street and 45th Ave?

Actually that is a convenience store in the middle of nowhere between Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer on Hwy 11 ... a little bit closer to RMH than to RD. It's pretty much the only thing out there in that 80 km stretch.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 08:33 PM   #14
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
Actually that is a convenience store in the middle of nowhere between Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer on Hwy 11 ... a little bit closer to RMH than to RD. It's pretty much the only thing out there in that 80 km stretch.
Well, it was a wild stab in the dark, but I thought it looked familiar -- I guess convenience stores look pretty much the same wherever you go. I asked because I've been visiting Red Deer at least once a year for the last 24, so the 55th/45th convenience store is an important part of my childhood . I'll be seeing it again in early May.

I should have said this in my first post, but congratulations on the century! I'm both impressed and jealous.
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 05:02 AM   #15
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Nice photos. It looks like great riding up there!
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-06, 01:05 PM   #16
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 46,231
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcb
Well, it was a wild stab in the dark, but I thought it looked familiar -- I guess convenience stores look pretty much the same wherever you go. I asked because I've been visiting Red Deer at least once a year for the last 24, so the 55th/45th convenience store is an important part of my childhood . I'll be seeing it again in early May.

I should have said this in my first post, but congratulations on the century! I'm both impressed and jealous.
I'm still not overly familiar with Red Deer, and I think I've only been by the convenience store you are talking about once since I've been here, but the architecture of the one in my photo seems to be a common architecture for a few of them I've seen here.

I spent quite a few years of my early childhood here in Red Deer, but left almost 30 years ago. I returned again just over a year ago. A couple months ago, I started taking a yoga class in the school I attended 30 years ago. The first class was a .... almost erie experience. I hadn't set foot in that school in about 30 years and yet when I walked around it, I knew where I was going. After class, I drove up to where I used to live back then ... past the little convenience store on the corner up there, and around the route where I used to walk home from school.

The biggest thing that struck me about the whole experience was that everything seemed so much smaller than I remember it being!!

Hopefully we'll have some good weather for you in May!
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-06, 12:23 AM   #17
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka
Hopefully we'll have some good weather for you in May!
I hope so, too! I'm still debating whether or not to bring my folding bike with me. I'm likely to be fairly busy, and might not have any opportunities to ride.

I've been reading about your randonneuring -- it's really very inspiring for me, as someone who wants to take my biking to the next level. The tale of your achilles tendon acting up on the rockies made me shudder, though -- I had achilles tendonitis last year, and the pain kept me off my bike for a while. Hope yours has recovered as well as mine! (knock on wood...)
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:43 PM.