Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,456
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Signs of Spring!!

    Yeah, I know some of you are probably into what I would consider summer conditions already, but up here in Canada we're getting our first hints that winter might soon be officially over.

    So, when you are cycling, what are some things you notice along your routes that you would consider sure signs of spring?

    Yesterday I noticed a few:

    - the fact that the temperature was 15.5C/60F ..... HOT!!

    - the pussiwillows are in full force in the ditches ..... which means that leaves should start appearing on the trees in the next few weeks!

    - dust, lots and lots of dust in the air ....... from the vehicles driving through the heaps of gravel and sand left over from sanding the roads.

    - I was wearing knickers (knee warmers) rather than tights, and I was down to three fairly light layers on top!!

    - there's only a little bit of snow left in the ditches, where it had drifted into piles ... the rest of the snow is all melted.


    So ... what are some signs of spring in your area?

  2. #2
    intergalactic distributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    whitehorse yukon
    My Bikes
    oyrx mt chromoly touringand winter basso rd
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what signs of spring winter is back in whitehorse snowwwwwwwwing

  3. #3
    Tail End Charlie Ritehsedad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine, The Way Life Should Be
    My Bikes
    Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring peeper!!!
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lebanon, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sight of all the freshly plowed farm fields, and the crisp smell of fertilizer and manure in the air.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My allergy induced pink eye has returned and I am on claritin 24 hrs a day. This week of horrific pollen allergies is a sure sign spring is back. Can't wait until I recover in the next week or so.

    ...and allergen conjuctivitous is not contagious. Can not wear my contacts and must use eyedrops.

  6. #6
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mosquitos!

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    Yeah, I know some of you are probably into what I would consider summer conditions already, but up here in Canada we're getting our first hints that winter might soon be officially over.

    So, when you are cycling, what are some things you notice along your routes that you would consider sure signs of spring?

    Yesterday I noticed a few:

    - the fact that the temperature was 15.5C/60F ..... HOT!!

    - the pussiwillows are in full force in the ditches ..... which means that leaves should start appearing on the trees in the next few weeks!

    - dust, lots and lots of dust in the air ....... from the vehicles driving through the heaps of gravel and sand left over from sanding the roads.

    - I was wearing knickers (knee warmers) rather than tights, and I was down to three fairly light layers on top!!

    - there's only a little bit of snow left in the ditches, where it had drifted into piles ... the rest of the snow is all melted.


    So ... what are some signs of spring in your area?
    Here is "The First Sign of Spring" here in Indiana. Enjoy the article, and feel free to browse around my blog as well!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,456
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    Here is "The First Sign of Spring" here in Indiana. Enjoy the article, and feel free to browse around my blog as well!
    Congrats on the ride!! And interesting blog ... I think you're doing great with the weight loss!


    BTW - here's a site for calculating calories burned, and a whole bunch of other stuff:

    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculators.html

  9. #9
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,456
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More signs of spring ...

    -- The chickadees, crows, and magpies have been around all winter, but today I could have sworn I heard a meadowlark, and I both saw and heard a pair of killdeer.

    -- Bugs flying into my hair, mouth, and sportsbra.

  10. #10
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka
    More signs of spring ...

    -- The chickadees, crows, and magpies have been around all winter, but today I could have sworn I heard a meadowlark, and I both saw and heard a pair of killdeer.

    -- Bugs flying into my hair, mouth, and sportsbra.
    Thanks, Machka, here's the one I use: Bicycle Speed and Power Calculator

    Hmmmm, the first sign of Spring: That lovely glow from my formerly fishbelly white legs after a winter of riding in tights and sweats (In my case sweats, can't find tights in my size , at least over the winter I couldn't. I found some that said they were my size, but FAR too small, and some that said they were my size, and fit me like a seal skin, unfortunately, the seal was an elephant seal! They were a tad loose and literally fell off the first step! ( My wife found that quite humorous, by the way!)
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lebanon, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another sure sign of spring is a big increase in road kill. It seems the ground hogs, rabbits, squirrels and even cats are a little slow getting across the roads this time of year.

  12. #12
    Banned. Prozakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Home (don't change this back to "my own personal hell", Mr. Powermad Moderator, and/or computer savvy hacker).
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papedaler
    Another sure sign of spring is a big increase in road kill. It seems the ground hogs, rabbits, squirrels and even cats are a little slow getting across the roads this time of year.
    Squirrels, armadillos, skunks, snakes, dogs, & cats here.

  13. #13
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definatly the bugs here. That's what I'm seeing.

    Oh, and all the roadies and rollerbladers are out again.

  14. #14
    Hidden playable character Bikemiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara commuterized, Evil Imperial stealth bomber, Sun Custom Cruiser, Punk Rock Trike of Doom (in progress), and an S&M Holmes (sentimental).
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signs of spring here include the smell of orange blossoms, rattle snakes, 90+ temps, and the feeling of impending doom (summer).

    Am I even allowed to post in "Winter Cycling"?
    I gotta Mike my bike.

  15. #15
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosquitos twice the size as usual (there's a new, more virulent skeeter, imported from Japan, looosed upon the NW two years ago- I wonder if these were them?)

    but there's still a fair bit of winter left if you look for it in my neck of the woods- here's a photo from a 300K ride I did this weekend....this is about 80 miles from Seattle, and only 2300 feet in elevation. The road is still closed to the east of the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bekologist; 04-25-06 at 07:35 AM.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  16. #16
    Walkafire
    Guest
    Snowed last night/early morning !

  17. #17
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    Mosquitos twice the size as usual (there's a new, more virulent skeeter, imported from Japan, looosed upon the NW two years ago- I wonder if these were them?)

    but there's still a fair bit of winter left if you look for it in my neck of the woods- here's a photo from a 300K ride I did this weekend....this is about 80 miles from Seattle, and only 2300 feet in elevation. The road is still closed to the east of the picture.
    Bekologist, sweet ride, man! By the way, those Size 2X mosquitoes? I remember them from Northern Ak, we used to say they kept spare probosci in the toolsheds with the other drilling bits disguised as oilpatch equipment. They have been known to carry off the occasional tourist as well!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  18. #18
    Banned. Prozakk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Home (don't change this back to "my own personal hell", Mr. Powermad Moderator, and/or computer savvy hacker).
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemiker
    90+ temps
    Is that all?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    My Bikes
    Trek5000
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down here in NE Fl, spring arrived with wind and warmer temps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •