Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-06, 07:31 PM   #1
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Bicycle Fenders

Here are a few sets of wood fenders that I produce in my small garage shop. I post a lot on ebay but will also do custom orders if you are looking for something a bit different. They work great, look good, get lots of attention, and make your bike stand out in a croud. Cody

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Bicycle-Fen...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Bicycle-Fen...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Bicycle-Fen...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Bicycle-Fen...QQcmdZViewItem
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 08:10 PM   #2
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Wow!
These are beautiful!

Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 08:44 PM   #3
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

Thanks. Everybody needs a set. Please let me know if you are interested in a set of fenders and I'll set you up. Thanks. Cody.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 03:25 AM   #4
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
As beautiful as these fenders are, you need to be a paid up member to hang advertizing on BikeForums, then it needs to be hund in the proper place.

I'll need you to pay up today or I'll have to delete this post.

Stacey
Forum Moderator
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 07:32 AM   #5
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
fenders..

oops. Didn't know. What's the total and how do I go about paying??
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 09:43 AM   #6
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
oops. Didn't know. What's the total and how do I go about paying??
Costs $25 to join. I guess you can PM a mod to join.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 09:45 AM   #7
CBBaron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland
Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Wow!
These are beautiful!
Yea I saw these on Ebay and asked about a pair for my Pugsley. Looks like the hardware is a little short to clear the 29 in diameter. Plus I'm concerned about attaching the fender to the curved "brake bridge" on the Pugsley. I can't see spending my money and/or Cody's time on an experiment that probably won't work. Instead I spent $15 on coroplast and zip ties and I am going to build the ugliest fenders, but I'm sure I can make them work.
Craig
CBBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 11:12 AM   #8
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
These fenders are beautiful. But I think I would be afraid to ride with them in the rain!
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 02:19 AM   #9
MikeR
Very Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Pa
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
Here are a few sets of wood fenders that I produce in my small garage shop.
I have a set of Cody's fenders on my 1984 Trek 720. Love them. Beautiful workmanship and great service, Thanks, Cody.

I always get complements on the bike and fenders. I usually attract a small crowd of admirers at the rest stops. Neat thing is, the people I attract are the very experienced riders who appreciate a well dressed classic bike. Those are the best people to meet.
__________________
It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 04:51 AM   #10
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Very beautiful indeed - chingalinga on the price, though. I see the "buy it now" price for one set at $99.00. I suppose if you have to ask about the price, it is not for you anyway. That said, I also notice they ARE selling on ebay. I didn't look too hard, but one pair that I saw sold for $44.00. Others may have sold for more.

I am glad to see an artisan making beautiful products like these for bicycles. Functional art for your bicycle. Keep up the good work, Cody.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 07:43 AM   #11
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

Mike thanks for the complements on my fenders- I always like to hear that kind of thing. A few words about price- My fenders are dirt cheap compared to the other wood fender brand out there. Full Wood charges $150.00-$200.00 per set so my fenders are half price even at the buy it now of $99.00. These do take quite a bit of work to produce in labor and the power tools in my shop were not free either so yea I charge a bit for my work just so that I can keep making cool stuff. I figure people who can appreciate good quality craftsmanship would see the value and pay the price. Anyway enough about ranting about price. I do like coming up with a cool pattern idea and then produce it to see how it turns out. That's why I am always putting different patterns up for auction. You will not see the same pattern up for auction month after month because I keep coming up with new and different stuff. So if you have a bike that you want to get people to notice wood fenders are a good way to do that. They do draw interest from passers by. Thanks. Cody.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 03:24 PM   #12
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
Mike thanks for the complements on my fenders- I always like to hear that kind of thing. A few words about price- My fenders are dirt cheap compared to the other wood fender brand out there. Full Wood charges $150.00-$200.00 per set so my fenders are half price even at the buy it now of $99.00. These do take quite a bit of work to produce in labor and the power tools in my shop were not free either so yea I charge a bit for my work just so that I can keep making cool stuff. I figure people who can appreciate good quality craftsmanship would see the value and pay the price. Anyway enough about ranting about price. I do like coming up with a cool pattern idea and then produce it to see how it turns out. That's why I am always putting different patterns up for auction. You will not see the same pattern up for auction month after month because I keep coming up with new and different stuff. So if you have a bike that you want to get people to notice wood fenders are a good way to do that. They do draw interest from passers by. Thanks. Cody.
Cody, I am sure that your prices are reasonable. That doesn't matter. What matters is that your work is beautiful and I am glad to have someone like you glamming up the bicycle world. You are making a worthy contribution to the bicycle culture of America. 100 years from now, someone is going to find a pair of your beautiful wooden fenders and marvel at them.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 07:08 PM   #13
MikeR
Very Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Pa
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
So if you have a bike that you want to get people to notice wood fenders are a good way to do that. They do draw interest from passers by. Thanks. Cody.
That's for sure. I always get great comments from cyclists, cagers and peds. People go out of their way to comment on them. The only disappointing thing is when they say "Did YOU make them?" and I have to admit that I did not. But, Cody, I always tell them who did and how to find you.
__________________
It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 08:03 PM   #14
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

Thank you so much for letting people know about the fenders. I get a ton of interest from people who see them on my bike as well. Keep the rubber side down. Cody.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:31 PM   #15
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee
 
Lithuania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mabra
Bikes:
Posts: 4,528
these are beautiful and just what ive been looking for my bianchi san jose. I will be getting a pair from you in the near future.
Lithuania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 10:37 PM   #16
vrkelley
Enjoy
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Seattle metro
Bikes: Trek 5200
Posts: 6,164
Hey woody...I think you can advertise these for free over in the FOR SALE forum.You're a member so go get some free advertising.

vrkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 10:37 PM   #17
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz
 
RoadToNowhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Near Hershey...TMI...not in Central PA ;)
Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
That's for sure. I always get great comments from cyclists, cagers and peds. People go out of their way to comment on them. The only disappointing thing is when they say "Did YOU make them?" and I have to admit that I did not. But, Cody, I always tell them who did and how to find you.
And I can verify: I am one of the many who have ridden with MikeR who have greatly admired his well-dressed Trek. Those wooden fenders are a beautiful touch to a classy ride.

Beth
RoadToNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 07:07 AM   #18
sringlee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 76
Compared to SKS or other plastic fenders, these are a bargain and a work of art. But how fragile are they? If somebody bumps the bike, will the mounting holes fracture?
sringlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 10:54 AM   #19
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

Actually they are super strong. These are a three layer laminate so are not prone to cracking like a single layer board. Plus I use good quality furniture grade hardwoods. The bottom two layers are either African Mahogany or Honduras Mahogany which is a durable wood used in anything from decking to furniture. Cracking around the mount holes has not been an issue because it's never happend. Thanks for your interest.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 02:40 PM   #20
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
Actually they are super strong. These are a three layer laminate so are not prone to cracking like a single layer board. Plus I use good quality furniture grade hardwoods. The bottom two layers are either African Mahogany or Honduras Mahogany which is a durable wood used in anything from decking to furniture. Cracking around the mount holes has not been an issue because it's never happend. Thanks for your interest.

But seriously, how are they in the rain?
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 03:40 PM   #21
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

They work well in the rain. I have a set of 1.5" on my town bike and they work just as well as anything else. Thanks.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 07:44 PM   #22
MikeR
Very Senior Member
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Pa
Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by sringlee
Compared to SKS or other plastic fenders, these are a bargain and a work of art. But how fragile are they? If somebody bumps the bike, will the mounting holes fracture?
I try to be careful with my Trek but Iím a klutz. It has fallen over a couple of times and I've hit the fenders against things a few times - no problems. I would say that the fenders are as strong or stronger than good plastic fenders.

As far as the rain. The Trek is not my beater bike but I have ridden it on wet roads and some light rain - again, no problem. I figure that if the wood starts to look worn I just borrow my wifeís Pledge
__________________
It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:23 AM   #23
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodysfenders
They work well in the rain. I have a set of 1.5" on my town bike and they work just as well as anything else. Thanks.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am sure they work well as fenders should. I was just concerned about how they would endure being wet over time. Does the varnish start to crack or does the wood, being porous, start to swell or have other issues. I know for sailboats we use teak and have to varnish it every year to protect it and ensure that it looks good. Just curious if these fenders need similar upkeep.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 11:55 AM   #24
woodysfenders
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, Ore.
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Wood Fenders

Ahh I guess I didn't get your question. I use a good quality marine spar polyurethane to finish all of my fenders and have not had problems with the finish. As with any outdoor finish a bit of care is required however. I suggest using a good paste wax for upkeep a couple times a year to keep the finish looking new.
Thanks.
woodysfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.