Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I've had enough.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heat Sox (battery powered socks) Review
Okay, I made a thread yesterday stating that my wife had purchased me a pair of Heat Sox on a whim and that I wasn't too impressed with them. So on my ride home this morning I decided to do a little control test.
One my left foot I wore a polypro sock liner under a heavy knitted smart wool sock.
On my right foot I had GoldBond foot powders and a single Heat Sock.
The morning commute home, at 6:00AM was actually a little too warm to warrant self heated socks at 32-33F with freezing rain but I wanted to test them out. I took the longest route home I felt comfortable with giving the conditions, about 14.5 miles, here are the results.
My right foot uncomfortable. The toes were very cold and the outside of my foot was chilled. When I took the sock off the skin was bright red and very tight.
My left foot was warm, very warm, at some points it was hot. the heating element is in the toes (on the underside) and that produced enough heat to keep the tops of my toes very toasty and the heat radiated to the sides and back of my foot. there was one point that my foot got so hot I thought it was going numb, but it was really the heat. I stopped and flipped the switch from Hi to Low and finished the last 5 miles of the trip. When O took the sock off my foot was sweating but was very warm.
Conclusion: In the future I'll leave these socks at home unless the temps hit the low 20s or lower. The heavy D sized battery isn't much of a noticeable henderance one you are fully dressed. at $20.00 per pair these are definately something that I plan on keeping in my cold weather arsenal.
I think my problem with them on my first ride was the fact that I had my feet wrapped with plastic newspaper delivery bags and this somehow caused my feet to sweat more than they should, I also think that the battery might now have been fully seated the entire trip as I noticed it sat in there rather loosely until I made some adjustments,