Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-07, 08:50 AM   #1
tibikefor2
Zinophile
Thread Starter
 
tibikefor2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vienna, Virginia
Bikes: Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Track and Lemond Propad
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hotronic Heated Footbeds

Well I suffer from cold feet, but who doesn't.

I tried the Hotronic Heated Footbeds. The footbeds have a heating element under the balls of one's foot. A flat wire then runs out of your shoe to a lithium ion battery pack. The battery pack has 3 settings, which will heat the footbeds from 7 hours up 18 hours (depends upon the heat setting).

With temparatures in the low 20s, I tried the footbeds with a pearl izumi amfib booty and a thin pair of wool socks. With the controls set on medium, my feet lightly sweated and never got cold. Once more riding through frigid temperatures has become pleasurable.

I have the flat wire extension, so that it runs underneath my tights, up my leg and the battery pack clips onto my tights. This takes a little getting used to.

So far 3 rides and I am sold on this item. They are not cheap, as a full setup costs $165, but for me it is worth it, as I can now ride for several hours in comfort.
__________________
Tibikefor2
tibikefor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 09:22 AM   #2
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,960
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibikefor2
Well I suffer from cold feet, but who doesn't.

I tried the Hotronic Heated Footbeds. The footbeds have a heating element under the balls of one's foot. A flat wire then runs out of your shoe to a lithium ion battery pack. The battery pack has 3 settings, which will heat the footbeds from 7 hours up 18 hours (depends upon the heat setting).

With temparatures in the low 20s, I tried the footbeds with a pearl izumi amfib booty and a thin pair of wool socks. With the controls set on medium, my feet lightly sweated and never got cold. Once more riding through frigid temperatures has become pleasurable.

I have the flat wire extension, so that it runs underneath my tights, up my leg and the battery pack clips onto my tights. This takes a little getting used to.

So far 3 rides and I am sold on this item. They are not cheap, as a full setup costs $165, but for me it is worth it, as I can now ride for several hours in comfort.
I glad they work for you but at $165 there are other options that are much cheaper...and work without batteries.

First, the Amfibs aren't really an insulating shoe cover. Neoprene ones from Performance do insulate and are very rugged. I've been riding the same set for nearly 5 years now and they still don't show any wear.

Second, I just got a pair of these shoe inserts to replace a pair of old insulating inserts that have worn out. I tried them for the first time yesterday and, not only are they warm but they are deliciously soft and comfy

And finally, try over the knee socks like these. Even with your warmers you might find them more comfortable. I find that if I keep my leg warm from the knee to the toe, I can ride in much lower temperatures more comfortably.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 09:29 AM   #3
tibikefor2
Zinophile
Thread Starter
 
tibikefor2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vienna, Virginia
Bikes: Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Track and Lemond Propad
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I glad they work for you but at $165 there are other options that are much cheaper...and work without batteries.

First, the Amfibs aren't really an insulating shoe cover. Neoprene ones from Performance do insulate and are very rugged. I've been riding the same set for nearly 5 years now and they still don't show any wear.

Second, I just got a pair of these shoe inserts to replace a pair of old insulating inserts that have worn out. I tried them for the first time yesterday and, not only are they warm but they are deliciously soft and comfy

And finally, try over the knee socks like these. Even with your warmers you might find them more comfortable. I find that if I keep my leg warm from the knee to the toe, I can ride in much lower temperatures more comfortably.
I can not use the Performance booties, as my cleat placement causes the rubber sole to rub against my crank arm. I tried trimming a pair, but to no benefit.

The fleece inserts look interesting, but my road shoes are too snug to fit them. I do not like using mountain bike shoes not want to go one size larger in my road shoes, as this has caused me problems in the past.

I have tried the long socks and my feet still got cold (My blood pressure is 92/52 and I have problems with my extremities getting cold).

Believe me, I have tried everything under the sun, and the heated footbeds are the only thing that has worked for me, so that I can be out in the cold for a century and not suffer.
__________________
Tibikefor2
tibikefor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 11:43 AM   #4
Galoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I add up all that I've spent on various attempts to keep my feet warm, I wish I'd just gotten the Hotronic foot warmers! Thanks for the good review.

When I rode to work on Friday, it was 12 deg F, and my left toes were going numb from the cold when I got there. I had two pairs of warm winter socks (outer pair is smartwool, inner pair is similar but a bit lighter). Over that, I wear a big pair of winter snow boots, the sort you can buy at the local Farm and Fleet store for $25. They're rubber lined with thick felt.

I'm running out of ideas for how to keep my feet warm. I could spend $75 on a pair of NEOS overshoes, but they would be big and heavy and I'm still not sure they'd keep me warm.

And I know with the Hotronics, my feet would be warm.
Galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:40 AM   #5
Lionheart
No whistling
 
Lionheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Virginia
Bikes:
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibikefor2
I have problems with my extremities getting cold.

Believe me, I have tried everything under the sun.
I'm the same way. Booties alone just don't cut it.
Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 12:11 PM   #6
jit5
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sidi makes a nice pair that have the battery integrated into the footbed and the warming pads are operated by a remote control similar to a cars remote key fob.

http://www.sidiusa.com/winter.html#a
jit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 03:42 PM   #7
robtown
Muscle bike design spec
 
robtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sterling VA
Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
Posts: 3,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibikefor2
I can not use the Performance booties, as my cleat placement causes the rubber sole to rub against my crank arm. I tried trimming a pair, but to no benefit...
Bingo! Usually the performance booties are only a nuisance to put on. During the Seagull in October mine were squeaking so much that I finally removed them.

Check out the Road forum - one poster showed the Lake CXZ301 road boots - and they were immediately identified as acceptable only for Herman Munster.
__________________
Korval is Ships
See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page
robtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 08:35 PM   #8
vger285
Senior Member
 
vger285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ohio
Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibikefor2
I can not use the Performance booties, as my cleat placement causes the rubber sole to rub against my crank arm. I tried trimming a pair, but to no benefit.

The fleece inserts look interesting, but my road shoes are too snug to fit them. I do not like using mountain bike shoes not want to go one size larger in my road shoes, as this has caused me problems in the past.

I have tried the long socks and my feet still got cold (My blood pressure is 92/52 and I have problems with my extremities getting cold).

Believe me, I have tried everything under the sun, and the heated footbeds are the only thing that has worked for me, so that I can be out in the cold for a century and not suffer.
Have you tried a set of these???(http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pedalspacers.asp) They might give you enough room for booties!
vger285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-07, 01:15 PM   #9
tibikefor2
Zinophile
Thread Starter
 
tibikefor2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vienna, Virginia
Bikes: Spectrum Ti, Spectrum Track and Lemond Propad
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vger285
Have you tried a set of these???(http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/pedalspacers.asp) They might give you enough room for booties!
I wear booties, but just can not wear the performance booties. I might give those a try. Thanks.
__________________
Tibikefor2
tibikefor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 PM.