To all of the people who can afford to spend $50-100 on 1 pair of socks or several hundred on any type of biking get-up at any time of year, I think it is great that you people have the resources to throw money around and buy anything because a sales rep claimed this or that. I just wanted to post a thread for the rest of us who have to really put some effort into just getting dressed up with the tension of a tight budget.
1. Go to your local second hand clothing store, buy 5 pairs of sweats and 5 pairs of jeans to go over them.
2. Buy 3-5 light to heavy layers for your torso (I find hoodies to be the best, but to each their own)
3. Get a toque that is 4 layers thick (wool is best), cut out the inside 3 layers out like a balaclava, flip it right side in and voila! you will have the best windproof, eyeball saving, head turning facemask this side of the rockies! (see other post)
4. Baffin boots, hey you may look a little dorky riding with these clunkers, but they are good down to -100c, the extra weight of the boots and clothes will only make you that much stronger for the next year, as well as give a more complete cardio workout, as well you dont have to worry about your pantlegs because the boots dont catch your gears.
5. Go to Zellers or Walmart and get any 20.00-30.00 generic ski-dooing glove.
This setup can be used in the MOST EXTREME conditions successfully right down to -132F\-92C windchills, I quote that number as it was the coldest ride I have ever been on, yet still comfortable in this getup.
I hope that some of you can use this if you ever planned to winter ride and were wondering about what to wear and how much it costs. (For everything I have mentioned above, it shouldn't be any more than $80 Cdn) If u spend any more than that, it is just paying for glamour.