Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winter glove system

    Hey all,

    So as fall is upon us I have begun thinking about my winter cycling. Last winter was the first season that I did some serious cold weather riding. I got everything down pretty well except for my hands and feet. I solved the feet with an end of season closeout pair of Sidi Diablo GTX shoes. They ROCK!

    But I haven't decided on hands. I have been eyeing the Assos winter glove system. I have read great reviews, but they are definitely pricey.

    I want some sort of layered system. I sweat quite a bit and last year the problem generally seemed that I often either had to heavy of a glove, in which case I sweat and then they got cold from being wet, or they werent warm enough.

    Has anyone had any success with a system of layered gloves that has worked without being $160?



    -D

  2. #2
    pj7
    pj7 is offline
    On Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion only here:
    The best thing to use in the winter is a set of pogies. Though for most people they are overkill.
    Next to that would be a wool or synthetic glove line inside a lobster-claw style glove. That would likely keep anyone warm who cycles in the winter inside the continental United States.
    Glove Liner - $5 - $10
    Lobster Glove - $20 - $75
    I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    Jamis Coda Sport '06
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    REI currently has a pair of Drop Incline Gore-Tex snowboarding gloves on clearance for $27. I have a pair of ski gloves that I use but honestly there comes a windchill factor where nothing but mittens will do.

  4. #4
    Senior Member vger285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pj7 View Post
    My opinion only here:
    The best thing to use in the winter is a set of pogies. Though for most people they are overkill.
    Next to that would be a wool or synthetic glove line inside a lobster-claw style glove. That would likely keep anyone warm who cycles in the winter inside the continental United States.
    Glove Liner - $5 - $10
    Lobster Glove - $20 - $75
    Pogies are the only way to go in winter,you can spend all the money you have on gloves,but all you end up with is a pair of gloves,either to thick you can't feel you shifters or not thick enough to keep your hands warm, With pogies you can wear a pair of glove liners and get a good grip on your stuff and be plenty warm!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, I don't think I have articulated my needs properly. I am actually ok at the extremes. When it is really cold I wear my ski gloves or mittens. In milder temps I have some lightweight full finger gloves that work well.

    I have the biggest problem in the middle ranges, and when they change Basically when it is too cold for my lightweight gloves, but my ski gloves just make me sweat so much I get cold anyway. Or when I head out before dawn, so it is cold, but then warms up as the sun comes up.

    That is what intrigued me with the Assos system. 3 sets of gloves that can be mixed depending on the temps.

    Do they make Pogies for drop bars?

    -D

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath View Post
    Hey all,

    So as fall is upon us I have begun thinking about my winter cycling. Last winter was the first season that I did some serious cold weather riding. I got everything down pretty well except for my hands and feet. I solved the feet with an end of season closeout pair of Sidi Diablo GTX shoes. They ROCK!

    But I haven't decided on hands. I have been eyeing the Assos winter glove system. I have read great reviews, but they are definitely pricey.

    I want some sort of layered system. I sweat quite a bit and last year the problem generally seemed that I often either had to heavy of a glove, in which case I sweat and then they got cold from being wet, or they werent warm enough.

    Has anyone had any success with a system of layered gloves that has worked without being $160?



    -D
    Expedition weight Patagonia glove liners - $25

    Wind Stopper fleece gloves - $30

    Hands warm at temps of -32c.

  7. #7
    Winter commuting mode Tequila Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Off the back
    My Bikes
    2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2004 Specilized Enduro Expert, 2006 Langster, 2007 Opus Stella
    Posts
    2,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My glove system

    Any fingerless gloves to down to ~55 F
    Wind proof full finger glove down to ~40 F (Specilized Deflect glove)
    Wind proof full finger glove with poly pro glove liner to ~25 F
    Ski gloves to ~0 F
    Drive car when below 0 F

    On my morning commutes it is about 30 F but when I ride home it is about 50 F.
    I just remove the glove liners for the ride home.

  8. #8
    Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
    REI currently has a pair of Drop Incline Gore-Tex snowboarding gloves on clearance for $27. I have a pair of ski gloves that I use but honestly there comes a windchill factor where nothing but mittens will do.
    Yup. Wool mitts with cheapo polypro glove liners from Harbor Freight or any hardware store. They will keep your hands toasty.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words: Pearl Izumi

    They have great gloves. You can easily stay under $100.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I use in the fall:

    50+ Fingerless cycling gloves

    32-50 Fingerless cycling gloves with 2.00 Target wool/synthetic knit winter glove over the top.

    0-32 lobster claw cycling gloves.

    sub 0 lobster claw with the target wool/synthetic inside

    ---

    The important thing with gloves is that they fit losely, if they are tight they are useless.

    By the time spring comes around I find I can subtract 10 degrees from all of the temps in the above table.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •