Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Posts
    13,880
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking for an *inexpensive* winter cycling jacket

    I have a lightweight windblocker shell, but I'm looking for a good, warm, inexpensive winter cycling jacket. Since I'm unemployed I'm limiting my budget to ~$75.
    Some of the ones I've seen that interest me are $225-$350. Way too expensive for me.
    I've looked at STP, Nashbar, Performance, and CC.

    Any suggestions?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

    I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

  2. #2
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    Any suggestions?
    Buy a wool sweater to wear underneath and maybe (if you can handle needle and thread) put zippers in your coat at the sides running from the elbows to the waist.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RonH,
    Like you, I'm in Atl. too. Even though our weather here is not all that cold, it is very humid. The 40's definately fell like the 30's, and so on. Typically I will layer a few articles of clothing depending on the climate/temp. On temps. in the high 40's to low 50's I typically wear my regular jersey, arm warmers, cotton long sleeve pullover jacket, and a wind jacket (sleeveless). The wind jacket has been the most beneficial. Since the air temp isn't that low, the wind is the main obstacle. Check out our local Wal-Mart or even TJ Max for a cheap wind shell jacket. Make sure you layer and you should be fine. Ever make it over to Stone Mountain? How about the Path from Decatur?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RonH,
    One more thing, check out the closeouts at the end of the season. Doesn't help now, but you'll be set for next year.

  5. #5
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the prev. posts. Layering is really the key. I don't even think of a WINTER COAT when riding until the temp drops below 0F/-18C. Then I don't actually wear my heavy winter coat, but an insulated jacket and put a layer of fleece on. the core is really easy to keep warm, extrimities are much harder to keep warm. You may also keep your eye on the local thrift stores for long sleeve t-shirts, coats and gloves. Good luck and Have a blast!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
    I agree with the prev. posts. Layering is really the key. I don't even think of a WINTER COAT when riding until the temp drops below 0F/-18C. Then I don't actually wear my heavy winter coat, but an insulated jacket and put a layer of fleece on. the core is really easy to keep warm, extrimities are much harder to keep warm. You may also keep your eye on the local thrift stores for long sleeve t-shirts, coats and gloves. Good luck and Have a blast!
    N7CZinMT,
    I have to laugh at my posts after seeing where you are from. We think 30F in Georgia is cold. I couldn't imagine zero! That sound painful. Just curious, are you a type I or II diabetic? I saw that in your profile.

  7. #7
    Look Ma, NO hands!
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    UC Tennessee
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RonH, I am in west Tennessee and have a little cooler weather than your area, but we have the humid air just like GA. Although I am not unemployed, I do have a big family so my budget is limited. I bought a nylon wind breaker from a consignment store for 7 bux. I cut out the arms and hood and, presto!. I now have my wind block shell! I have found that medium weight fleece does just about as good a job as you can get. It lets in enouth air that you don't build up sweet, but it keeps you warm. AVOID cotton under cloths at all cost! It is amazing what you can find in second hand shops, and cheep enough that you can experiment with what works best.

    I have mannaged to stay warm, while riding through the winter with out spending a small fortune. Be creative!

  8. #8
    Look Ma, NO hands!
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    UC Tennessee
    Posts
    988
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, For some of y'all that live where it realy does get cold. I will tell you that I look forward to when the temp here does drop into the 20sF, because the air is dry and it is actually easier to keep warm. I mean heck, I just got back from riding to the LBS in a pair of blue jeans and a Tshirt, only about 10 blocks.

  9. #9
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikealot
    Just curious, are you a type I or II diabetic? I saw that in your profile.
    I am Type II. (T2) My grandmother, mother, and older brother all have it.

    The bicycle has really turned things around for me in my fight against T2.

    As for the post, I'm sorry I didn't look at the location before I posted my reply.

    Oh, by the way, we have already seen -10F this month here!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
    I am Type II. (T2) My grandmother, mother, and older brother all have it.

    The bicycle has really turned things around for me in my fight against T2.

    As for the post, I'm sorry I didn't look at the location before I posted my reply.

    Oh, by the way, we have already seen -10F this month here!
    My wife and I both volunteer at a diabetic camp in Alabama for T1 children. Most of them have been recently diagnosed. Occassionally, we have the University of Alabama or Auburn Univ. football players with diabetes give their testimonies. Very inspiring for the kids. Most of their parents have a tougher time adjusting then the kids. It's really amazing watching a 6 year old check their blood sugar and then give themselves their own shots. Rough disease to cope with. Great to see you are out enjoying life. Stay healthy. By the way, it's 75 here today. Rode yesterday in just my shorts and jersey. Hi was 75, also.

  11. #11
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikealot
    My wife and I both volunteer at a diabetic camp in Alabama for T1 children. <snip>. It's really amazing watching a 6 year old check their blood sugar and then give themselves their own shots. <snip> By the way, it's 75 here today. Rode yesterday in just my shorts and jersey. Hi was 75, also.
    I think its great that you and the wife volunteer! It is really heart breaking to see the kids with T1. My T2 is my own fault, or so the doctors say. But those kids got a raw deal. I have volunteered for the Bike-a-Thon for many years. This next year I'm entering it! This will be my first attempt at a century. Normally held in May, 2 years ago we had to re-schedule it for August due to snow on the course and freezing temps!

    Yesterday was in the high 40's here as today is supposed to be. Just a long sleeve jersy and wind shells for the rides. (winds are gusting 50-60 MPH today) Glad I don't have a long commute home.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
    I think its great that you and the wife volunteer! It is really heart breaking to see the kids with T1. My T2 is my own fault, or so the doctors say. But those kids got a raw deal. I have volunteered for the Bike-a-Thon for many years. This next year I'm entering it! This will be my first attempt at a century. Normally held in May, 2 years ago we had to re-schedule it for August due to snow on the course and freezing temps!

    Yesterday was in the high 40's here as today is supposed to be. Just a long sleeve jersy and wind shells for the rides. (winds are gusting 50-60 MPH today) Glad I don't have a long commute home.
    That's huge you are riding in your 1st century. There are a lot of training plans out there. I bet your commuting will be a big benefit. Keep us posted as you get closer. Training/riding a century is easier with encouragement. What will the course be like and what is the terrain like where you ride?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2 is my own fault, or so the doctors say.
    How can it be your fault?

  14. #14
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdx_gay_guy
    How can it be your fault?
    T2 is said to be caused by one's sedimentary lifestyle and poor food choices. It is true, up until my diagnosis, I was a couch potato! I am told that with excercise I may be able to go off of the meds that currently control my blood glucose. I have already seen MAJOR improvements.

    Last September I entered into my first MTB race! (stepping WAY out of my comfort zone!) I did not finish due to undiagnosed excercise induced Asthma. If I could have caught my breath, I would've finished. I was the only fat guy there.. (240lbs at that time) I am happy to say that the local bike club that was putting it on made me feel right at home and were very supportive.
    Sorry for running off at the mouth...

  15. #15
    Zin
    Zin is offline
    On your what?!? Zin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    2,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikealot
    That's huge you are riding in your 1st century. There are a lot of training plans out there. I bet your commuting will be a big benefit. Keep us posted as you get closer. Training/riding a century is easier with encouragement. What will the course be like and what is the terrain like where you ride?
    Well the course is from Great Falls to Wolf Creek, Montana and back. The ride is on the frontange road. Terrian begins as high plains then quickly moves into the front range of the rockies. There are a couple of climbs, but mostly the route runs along the river bottoms in the canyons. I will begin training on the course next February or March, weather permitting. Otherwise, I am riding long endurance type rides now to build up prior to going into a "full blown" training mode.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bikealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Serotta CSI Steel Frame
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
    Well the course is from Great Falls to Wolf Creek, Montana and back. The ride is on the frontange road. Terrian begins as high plains then quickly moves into the front range of the rockies. There are a couple of climbs, but mostly the route runs along the river bottoms in the canyons. I will begin training on the course next February or March, weather permitting. Otherwise, I am riding long endurance type rides now to build up prior to going into a "full blown" training mode.
    Sounds like a beautiful route. I met some people recently from Big Bear? I think that's correct. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted with your progress. How much time are you spending on the bike right now? Will that increase or decrease through the winter?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •