Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-08, 10:23 AM   #1
macteacher
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suburbia, Ontario
Bikes: Specialized FSR
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a specific type of winter goggles

I remember reading last year about a specific type of winter goggles. Not sure what they are called or where to get them from. Apparently they have two little fans in the frame and they prevent fogging up of ones glasses. They run on AAA batteries.

Anybody know of these goggles?
macteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 05:28 AM   #2
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,716
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
[I remember reading last year about a specific type of winter goggles. Not sure what they are called or where to get them from. Apparently they have two little fans in the frame and they prevent fogging up of ones glasses. They run on AAA batteries.

Anybody know of these goggles?]

Hi macteacher,

At the risk of being repetitive, I wrote a post about my solution to wearing eyeglasses and goggles in the winter at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...0685&highlight

post #5

I'm skeptical that when you are going uphill, breathing hard with with diminished airflow around your head, that a fan run on AAA batteries is capable of blowing away the exhaled warm moist air. Unfortunately we've got to start thinking about these things; this morning I added a layer of clothing I haven't worn since May :-(

Jim from Boston
Department of Redundancy Department
Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 07:19 AM   #3
macteacher
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suburbia, Ontario
Bikes: Specialized FSR
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Hi macteacher,

At the risk of being repetitive, I wrote a post about my solution to wearing eyeglasses and goggles in the winter at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...0685&highlight

post #5

I'm skeptical that when you are going uphill, breathing hard with with diminished airflow around your head, that a fan run on AAA batteries is capable of blowing away the exhaled warm moist air. Unfortunately we've got to start thinking about these things; this morning I added a layer of clothing I haven't worn since May :-(

Jim from Boston
Department of Redundancy Department
Hi there Jim,

I did see your post, however that won't work for me. Due to the freezing temperatures we get here, I need to cover all exposed areas of my face. Your system, although good, will not work for me as it does not cover my entire face. The ski goggles I used last year had a nice tint to them that eliminated snow glare, but good enough I could see in the dark hours of the morning, best of all they covered the sides of my face.
macteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 03:39 PM   #4
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,716
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi macteacher

Thanks for your comments. Though my system is “open,” I find that breathing out into my balaclava directs warm (though moist) air onto my cheeks, behind the safety glasses, and the safety glasses act as a windscreen for the sides of my face. Because it is open, the moist air is well ventilated so it doesn’t fog my eyeglasses. I suppose one could cover the exposed facial skin entirely, as I presume you would have to do with ski type goggles. I have used my get-up down to the single digits Fahrenheit.

Good point about the snow glare; My winter commuting is entirely in the dark, so I like clear lenses.

No reply necessary but how cold does it get? Is Suburbia Ontario a real place or a way of life? ;-) I have spent a lot of time in southern Ontario from Windsor to Toronto, and did a bicycle tour up the Lake Huron coast from Sarnia through Tobermory and on to Sudbury, then train to Toronto.

Sincerely,

Jim
Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 06:43 AM   #5
macteacher
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suburbia, Ontario
Bikes: Specialized FSR
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Hi macteacher

Thanks for your comments. Though my system is “open,” I find that breathing out into my balaclava directs warm (though moist) air onto my cheeks, behind the safety glasses, and the safety glasses act as a windscreen for the sides of my face. Because it is open, the moist air is well ventilated so it doesn’t fog my eyeglasses. I suppose one could cover the exposed facial skin entirely, as I presume you would have to do with ski type goggles. I have used my get-up down to the single digits Fahrenheit.

Good point about the snow glare; My winter commuting is entirely in the dark, so I like clear lenses.

No reply necessary but how cold does it get? Is Suburbia Ontario a real place or a way of life? ;-) I have spent a lot of time in southern Ontario from Windsor to Toronto, and did a bicycle tour up the Lake Huron coast from Sarnia through Tobermory and on to Sudbury, then train to Toronto.

Sincerely,

Jim
I don't mind replying In February it reaches -7 + wind chill -10-15. You'll never find a city in Ontario called 'Suburbia'. I live in the suburbs. Mississauga exactly. Hence the nickname - Suburbia.
macteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 05:18 PM   #6
Jim from Boston
Senior Member
 
Jim from Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,716
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Centigrade or Fahrenheit? I know where Missisauga is. How is bicycling in Toronto and environs?
Jim from Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 07:09 AM   #7
macteacher
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Suburbia, Ontario
Bikes: Specialized FSR
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Centigrade or Fahrenheit? I know where Missisauga is. How is bicycling in Toronto and environs?
Centigrade. Cycling in Toronto is a lot more enjoyable. They actually have a growing number of bike lanes and there are just a lot more cyclists around.
macteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 09:26 PM   #8
jo8243
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smith or Scott (forget which) makes the goggles with fans. I used to use a set on my dirt bike for fogging problems in the summertime. They worked quite well.
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 09:28 PM   #9
jo8243
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is smith:
http://www.technical-gear.com/goggle...e_turbofan.htm
jo8243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 AM.