Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Harbinger xiamsammyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wearing white in winter.

    Good idea? or horrible idea?

    please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartinez View Post
    I've learned to always take off my wedding ring when polishing my crank.

  2. #2
    Fred-ish rogerstg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,803
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing white after Labor Day and prior to Memorial Day is generally considered a fashion faux pas.

  3. #3
    Fred-ish rogerstg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,803
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing white after Labor Day and prior to Memorial Day is generally considered a fashion faux pas.

    Seriously, I try not to blend into the environment when riding, so I probably would avoid wearing white while riding in a snowstorm.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Intheloonybin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    My Bikes
    1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is an article of clothing that you don't care whether it ends up being really dirty, go for it!

    I've worn white while riding in rain, etc... You end up with a steak up the back if you don't have fenders.

    Being in WI, be careful of blending in with the snow...

  5. #5
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing white in a snowy winter makes excellent sense for the Military. Life saving even. Not the same for civilian cycling. Not at all the same. Back in snow country I wore bright yellow Goretex (tm). Top and bottom.
    This space open

  6. #6
    Harbinger xiamsammyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.
    Posts
    564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    Wearing white after Labor Day and prior to Memorial Day is generally considered a fashion faux pas.
    that is only supposed to apply to shoes and I was actually thinking about getting a fairly cheap (mostly) white very good winter jacket.
    most of the snow here isnt very white its more of a brown/grey and 80%+ of my commute is on a MUP where traffic is no issue and the other 20% is through downtown where the traffic should have no issue seeing me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartinez View Post
    I've learned to always take off my wedding ring when polishing my crank.

  7. #7
    Senior Member cdale56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    My Bikes
    Lemond, Cannondale
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not wear white because I might be mistaken for a deer and shot. A Maine woman was shot in her back yard as she was wearing white mittens, that was back in 1989.

    I know of least two recent fatal shootings where local hunters were shot by other hunters, both of these happened near my bike routes and one within a few miles of my home.

    Legal hunters do not scare me as much as any illegal hunters that might be out there, and they are out there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White, at night, good idea in downtown traffic, increases visibility. I enjoyed a study done years ago that indicated that while people can see that lime-yellow safety color better then others in controlled tests, hot pink is more likely to produce a reaction. Like: " I saw the safety vest as the sad looking man bounced off of my windshield" vs "I swerved away from the nut-case in the hot pink leotard."
    This space open

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •