Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/)
-   -   Training wheels for my winter bike. (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/495320-training-wheels-my-winter-bike.html)

VegBiker 12-17-08 07:29 PM

Training wheels for my winter bike.
 
So...

Today we got 6 inches of snow, and on my slippery ride to class I thought about putting training wheels on my winter commuter mtb to help with stability. Has anyone ever done this or hypothesized about it? What do you think?

Yes they do make training wheels for adult bicycles.

Yan 12-17-08 07:31 PM

Don't do that. You need to lean to turn at adult speeds, or you'll fly off your bike.

Lebowski 12-17-08 07:34 PM

im only nineteen so i can recall rather clearly all the spills i had because of the training wheels. i hated them.

stevetone 12-18-08 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegBiker (Post 8039083)
So...

Today we got 6 inches of snow, and on my slippery ride to class I thought about putting training wheels on my winter commuter mtb to help with stability. Has anyone ever done this or hypothesized about it? What do you think?

Yes they do make training wheels for adult bicycles.

It is rather a jump to think that this is even a serious question, but just in case it is, consider this. When an outboard wheel (aka training wheel) hits the snow, it will dig in and pull your bike in that direction. And that assumes that the wheels are riding above the snow. With 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground, all four wheels would be partially under the snow, tremendously increasing drag, to the point of being unrideable.

IMO, not a good idea. But why not try it and let us know how it works.

cman 12-18-08 10:31 AM

Also with training wheels and ruts, there will be times your drive wheel is not in contact with the ground. You would go from pedaling with resistence to none.

sharkey00 12-18-08 11:36 AM

Studded tires

cdalefan 12-18-08 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetone (Post 8040801)
With 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground, all four wheels would be partially under the snow, tremendously increasing drag, to the point of being unrideable.

Put skis on the ends, make them 6" off the ground and call them outriggers. Then it becomes an Extreme Sport

Novakane 12-18-08 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdalefan (Post 8042164)
Put skis on the ends, make them 6" off the ground and call them outriggers. Then it becomes an Extreme Sport

:roflmao2:

Seriously, though, I can see the thinking behind the idea since over the past few days I've started winter riding for the first time since I was a kid, and losing traction can cause the bike to become unstable. It definitely requires a slightly different riding style than in good weather.

It seems to me that you may be misunderstanding why you're having a stability problem, however. The bike is likely tipping (hence the want for something to catch it, like training wheels) because your front wheel is losing traction and sliding sideways. Training wheels might catch the bike from tipping, but won't solve this problem, and you're likely to encounter the problems previous posts have pointed out.

The better solution, from my understanding, would be to put a studded tire on the front, so when you turn the wheel can bite into the crap and not slip - thus making a normal turn rather than sliding the bike out from under you.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.