Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-09, 02:22 PM   #1
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
Thread Starter
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Bikes: A few.
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5 snowmen and studded tires

Really, it's way too early and those things seem heavier every year. Such was my commute yesterday.
__________________
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 02:26 PM   #2
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
Really, it's way too early and those things seem heavier every year. Such was my commute yesterday.
I hear ya man. 6 degrees for me yesterday. Ice and snow last Friday. October 13....sheesh.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:22 PM   #3
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
Really, it's way too early and those things seem heavier every year. Such was my commute yesterday.
Which studded tires are you using?
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:28 PM   #4
Old Town
Sailing Cyclist
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Key West, FL
Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't see any snow where I am but the idea of studs on a bike is wild. How much does a set of studs on a MTB with say 2.25s slow you down when compared to regular knobbies? Let's take the snow resistance out of the equation. Run both sets of tires on a flat dirt road. I have no use for snow tires but I think they're cool concept on a bike.
Old Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:34 PM   #5
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town View Post
I don't see any snow where I am but the idea of studs on a bike is wild. How much does a set of studs on a MTB with say 2.25s slow you down when compared to regular knobbies? Let's take the snow resistance out of the equation. Run both sets of tires on a flat dirt road. I have no use for snow tires but I think they're cool concept on a bike.
I cannot speak to that, but I think my 35c Schwalbe Marathon winter tires, inflated to 70psi (for occasional ice conditions) slow me down less than 1mph, whereas switching from knobby mountain bike tires (on the road) to slicks improved my speed by 2-3 mph at least.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 09:08 AM   #6
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
Thread Starter
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Bikes: A few.
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Which studded tires are you using?
Not my video, but it covers the point well.

I put 'em on in late fall and take 'em off in spring. Get about 5k from a set (two winters for me).
__________________
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 03:22 PM   #7
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
Not my video, but it covers the point well.

I put 'em on in late fall and take 'em off in spring. Get about 5k from a set (two winters for me).
Wait, wait, wait - you live in St. Paul? I live in St. Paul! Why on earth are you using the highest rolling resistance studded tire available? Lol. :-) It's my recollection that they even *plow* the bike trails here...

Have you thought of trying a lower rolling resistance studded tire? I know several people who run Nokian 106's all winter. One doesn't even own a car, he seems to think it's enough - and believe me, he's not some young reckless guy...

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-23-09 at 03:25 PM.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 04:26 PM   #8
daredevil
cyclepath
 
daredevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: "The Last Best Place"
Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
Posts: 3,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Wait, wait, wait - you live in St. Paul? I live in St. Paul! Why on earth are you using the highest rolling resistance studded tire available? Lol. :-) It's my recollection that they even *plow* the bike trails here...

Have you thought of trying a lower rolling resistance studded tire? I know several people who run Nokian 106's all winter. One doesn't even own a car, he seems to think it's enough - and believe me, he's not some young reckless guy...
uh, your location says Mpls. That offends the other St. Paul folks.

I grew up in St. Paul, Highland High and Hamline grad.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 10:37 PM   #9
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
uh, your location says Mpls. That offends the other St. Paul folks.

I grew up in St. Paul, Highland High and Hamline grad.
Lol, I live by the Ford Parkway bridge at the moment, but I'm moving back to Minneapolis Nov. 1st (at least I think I am...err...). It's kind of sad, I really like St. Paul, but every place I've rented has given me a headache if I spend to much time there. Maybe I have a tumor, haha. But there's a *ton* of crappy, crappy rental property in St. Paul, and almost no modern stuff that's reasonably priced. :-(

Anyways, back to the topic, at hand... :-) Why are you running such high rolling resistance tires here? Seems like the Schwalbe Marathon Winters or Nokian 106's would handle things for you for like 95% of the winter...
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.