Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 85 of 85
  1. #76
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site seems to be down. New link?

  2. #77
    Senior Member bluegoatwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Sixty-Fiver.

    You're to be commended for your effort to spread good info to those who are willing to learn.

    I've been a (proud, admittedly) ice-biker for a few decades now. Though there are conditions that even I won't ride in. But they're pretty extreme.

    It's now the end of October, 2012. Winter has not set in yet, of course. But I'm looking forward to it and it's fun to be involved with those who are also looking forward to it.

    I might even prefer ice-biking to summer biking, which is soooo hooooot....

    I definitely prefer winter biking on clear roads.

    It'll be nice.

  3. #78
    "LOGIC!" lopek77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SE MICHIGAN
    My Bikes
    10 Specialized Crosstrail, 09 Raleigh Mojave 5.0, 70's Panasonic DX-2000, 70's Schwinn world traveler (originally owned by Prady family - "The Big Bang Theory") , 96 Mongoose switchback, 80's Romet Wigry 2, 80's Romet Wigry 3, Romet Pelikan...
    Posts
    997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    "This is a common question and I will start by saying that WD40 is NOT a lubricant and should not be used on bicycle chains as it is primarily a solvent and will wash any lubricant out of your chain.

    If you do neglect your chain and it starts to stick WD40 can be used to free stuck links but then a proper chain lube should be applied."
    WD40 is a great chain and parts cleaner. After cleaning my chain with WD40 or gasoline (once a year), I'm using one of my favorite chain lubes - Prolink or T9. I also tried WD40 to clean my frame before winter. Frame stays cleaner longer and its easier to clean overall.
    I don't recommend to use WD40 as a lube, but it makes a good "emergency" lube when there is nothing else to choose.
    "The clear problem of the outlawing of insult is that too many things can be interpreted as such. Criticism, ridicule, sarcasm, merely stating an alternative point of view to the orthodoxy, can be interpreted as insult."
    Reading without understanding is useless

    "Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial." - go figure lol

    Cycling Videos

  4. #79
    Newbie SavvyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is absolutely wonderful and informative. Thank you.

  5. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    TriFlow is the best lubricant I have found

    TriFlow is the best lubricant that I have found to keep the chain, derailleurs, and gears working in below freezing conditions. It displaces water and will not freeze until temperatures drop to 60 below 0 Fahrenheit.

    This and other tips are on my website. Icecyclist.

  6. #81
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,904
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecyclist.com View Post
    TriFlow is the best lubricant that I have found to keep the chain, derailleurs, and gears working in below freezing conditions. It displaces water and will not freeze until temperatures drop to 60 below 0 Fahrenheit.

    This and other tips are on my website. Icecyclist.
    Tri-flow is one of the poorest lubes I have used here... it is ill suited for a dry and dusty environment in the warmer months and have been using homebrewed lube which has a base of synthetic oil and WD40 or mineral spirits as the solvent / carrier.

    It makes for a much cleaner running chain than Tri-flow and does not act as a dust / dirt magnet.

    I don't know too many people who ride at 60 below... I have come close and not had any chain issues.

    Pic from today... we have been getting some pretty balmy weather and have been warmer than many places in the southeast and central U.S.


  7. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Tri-flow is one of the poorest lubes I have used here... it is ill suited for a dry and dusty environment in the warmer months and have been using homebrewed lube which has a base of synthetic oil and WD40 or mineral spirits as the solvent / carrier.

    It makes for a much cleaner running chain than Tri-flow and does not act as a dust / dirt magnet.

    I don't know too many people who ride at 60 below... I have come close and not had any chain issues.

    Pic from today... we have been getting some pretty balmy weather and have been warmer than many places in the southeast and central U.S.

    Thank you for the tip. The upside of WD40 is that it is less expensive than Triflow. The downside is that its lowest operating temperature is -10 degrees Fahrenheit. About a dozen times a year I complete 30 mile rides in temperatures between 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. So, WD40 with a synthetic oil additive will not work for me as its operating temperature lower limit is too close to the temperatures I ride in.

    In temperatures above freezing I use Maxima Chainwax as it keeps my chain nice and lubed for my longer 150 mile road rides. I hate having a squeaky chain after mile 100 with other bicycle lubes.
    Last edited by Icecyclist.com; 01-09-14 at 12:43 PM.

  8. #83
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,904
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecyclist.com View Post
    Thank you for the tip. The upside of WD40 is that it is less expensive than Triflow. The downside is that its lowest operating temperature is -10 degrees Fahrenheit. About a dozen times a year I complete 30 mile rides in temperatures between 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. So, WD40 with a synthetic oil additive will not work for me.

    In temperatures above freezing I use Maxima Chainwax as it keeps my chain nice and lubed for my longer 150 mile road rides. I hate having a squeaky chain after mile 100 with other bicycle lubes.
    I have ridden at -52F with homebrewed lube and had no issues... the solvent / carrier evaporates and it is the synthetic oil that provides the lubrication at these cold temperatures. I also run this in my internal 3 speed hubs to keep them running at extremes and they spin just as well at -40 C/F as they do on warm summer days.

    In nice weather I might refresh the chain lube every 300-500km depending on the conditions.

  9. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    I have ridden at -52F with homebrewed lube and had no issues... the solvent / carrier evaporates and it is the synthetic oil that provides the lubrication at these cold temperatures. I also run this in my internal 3 speed hubs to keep them running at extremes and they spin just as well at -40 C/F as they do on warm summer days.

    In nice weather I might refresh the chain lube every 300-500km depending on the conditions.

    I may give this option a try as it will save me lots of $$. A gallon of WD-40 is $17 versus a gallon of TriFlow at a whopping $71. My major concern is the chain freezing and bunching up 15 miles from home in a very rural environment. To get an idea of what that looks like, try washing your bike chain with water in 20 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. It will freeze in the most unusual ways within a few minutes.

    Maybe I will do a test of the "home brew" option on a very cold day close to home and see how it performs.

  10. #85
    Member pyratenomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    My Bikes
    90s Trek 1500, stripped down single (52x18) with a coaster.
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of useful info here. I had a few questions as the winters here in Idaho can be formidable at times. The link to creating your own studded tires is extremely useful. Thank you!
    'I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.' ~Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •