Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,009
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is the the Sturmey-Archer S-RF5(W) Five Speed Internal gear hub winter-proof?

    Is this hub sealed well enough for salty-wet roads in the winter in Chicago.

    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/4/id/34
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  2. #2
    nighrider uk
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England.
    My Bikes
    Mercian audax bike
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,it should.These Sturmey Archer hubs are pretty fit and forget,a lot better than ruining expensive derailleurs.Shimano hubs are good too but a bit more spendy.

  3. #3
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,009
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightrider uk View Post
    Yes,it should.These Sturmey Archer hubs are pretty fit and forget,a lot better than ruining expensive derailleurs.Shimano hubs are good too but a bit more spendy.
    Thanks!
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

  4. #4
    Junior Member Twonutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    My Bikes
    Norco CCX1, Kona Unit
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno about "winter-proof"...

    I recently had this same question as I was looking for a winter commuter. Since I'm new to the area, I asked around at local bike shops, and generally was told that internal hubs are "iffy" for winter. The biggest issue is the amount of salt used on roads, and the internal seals on the hub. Since here (southern Ontario), they use A LOT of salt, an IGH was not recommended. Some people have reasonable success, but the LBSs I talked to really stressed that additional maintenance was required (periodic disassembly and cleaning), and that the IGH certainly wasn't fire and forget.

    Ultimately since my commute is pretty flat, I went with a single speed 29er. YMMV but I would plan on having to spend some extra time an $$$ on an IGH to make sure the internals stay corrosion free.

    My 2

  5. #5
    nighrider uk
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England.
    My Bikes
    Mercian audax bike
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twonutz View Post
    Dunno about "winter-proof"...

    I recently had this same question as I was looking for a winter commuter. Since I'm new to the area, I asked around at local bike shops, and generally was told that internal hubs are "iffy" for winter. The biggest issue is the amount of salt used on roads, and the internal seals on the hub. Since here (southern Ontario), they use A LOT of salt, an IGH was not recommended. Some people have reasonable success, but the LBSs I talked to really stressed that additional maintenance was required (periodic disassembly and cleaning), and that the IGH certainly wasn't fire and forget.

    Ultimately since my commute is pretty flat, I went with a single speed 29er. YMMV but I would plan on having to spend some extra time an $$$ on an IGH to make sure the internals stay corrosion free.

    My 2
    I think Stumey Archer just fit and forget,they tend to mainly fitted to utility bikes,which tend to be neglected.I wash my bikes as much as possible.Single speed or fixed is the best type of bike for the winter or failing that a hub geared bike.The S3X is my choice but the Sturmey Archer 3 speed or 5 speed should suit you well.British winters tend to be relatively mild however.

  6. #6
    Senior Member formicaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SA 5 has a neutral gap that makes 2nd gear almost impossible to engage when downshifting. I have to go up to 1st first.

  7. #7
    biciclista girona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    The SA 5 has a neutral gap that makes 2nd gear almost impossible to engage when downshifting. I have to go up to 1st first.
    reviving an old thread... but is your SA 5 English made or more modern Taiwanese manufactured? Model number?
    I have a taiwanese S-RF5 that does not have the neutral gap you talk of anymore.
    I did have a hard time adjusting it to shift properly at first, but seems to be working fine now. I think that the indicator rod that came with my hub was not the correct one. I tried to tune it by the position of the yellow band to no avail. I wasn't able to shift into all the gears plus I had sort of a neutral effect. Shifting into 5th gear was almost impossible. There was enough play in the indexed thumb shifter to change from being engaged to "neutral" in some gears.

    I ended up adjusting the SA "by ear" on a repair stand. 3rd gear is direct drive, so no ticking sound when pedaling. I adjusted the tension on the cable so it would stay "in gear" within the "play range" of the thumb shifter.
    Shifting to 2nd, would engage a different gear and the ticking sound would start. Shifting to 1st changes the ticking sound.

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    590
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They call the shift piece an 'Indicator chain', because you use the shoulder of the rod part
    even with the end of the axle, as seen thru the spy-hole,
    to indicate the lever is in adjustment with the hub..
    in 2nd on the 3 speed and 3rd in the 5, the N Middle direct 1:1 gear.

    I found, their drum brake is a good winter stopper..

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this hub for one year on a bike in Boston. It did not survive. Only the lowest 2 gears work and the others go to neutral. I had my LDS take a look at it and they said they'd have to take the thing apart to repair it which costs more than the hub. I contacted Sturmey over a week ago about a warranty claim and still no response and no support. Try something else.




    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Is this hub sealed well enough for salty-wet roads in the winter in Chicago.

    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/4/id/34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •