Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-12, 12:32 PM   #1
charbucks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Bikes:
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's started!

Our first "real" snowfall of the year has arrived, not counting the couple centimetres we got two weeks ago. Only -6 Celsius, but -16 with the wind chill, and snow still coming down. Good thing I put the studs on last night! Even with them the bridges and main roads were dicey.

On the pathway I was surprised how many other bikes I saw. My commute is in the opposite direction to the main traffic, and I lost count after 20+ bikes in the first kilometre.

I overdressed like crazy, and had to stop three times - once to downgrade mitts, once to strip off a layer, and once to take a photo . My cell phone camera wasn't focusing in the cold/dark though, so here's a very blurry picture:



Also: I found some polar fleece socks at the back of my closet, and managed to squeeze them in to my (laces loosened) regular bike shoes. Toes weren't cold at all, even though the ride took me an hour!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-23 07.52.17.jpg (102.9 KB, 32 views)
charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 02:43 PM   #2
KinetiK
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Bikes: 2009 Electra Townie
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too rode this morning and it was a lot of fun. My first ever ride in anything other than summer and I loved it. So quiet this morning along the Elbow River path, a little treacherous I suppose, but once on 4th Ave SW it was easy as pie.
KinetiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 03:23 PM   #3
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on! You don't need to take all the snow. When clouds arrive here there is nothing left.
Easterns want snow too you know
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 04:11 PM   #4
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St-CÚsaire, Qc, Canada
Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Suteki, escapade 10 speed, 1973 CCM Elan
Posts: 1,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
Come on! You don't need to take all the snow. When clouds arrive here there is nothing left.
Easterns want snow too you know
+1
dramiscram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-12, 05:52 PM   #5
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbucks View Post
Our first "real" snowfall of the year has arrived, not counting the couple centimetres we got two weeks ago. Only -6 Celsius, but -16 with the wind chill, and snow still coming down. Good thing I put the studs on last night! Even with them the bridges and main roads were dicey.

On the pathway I was surprised how many other bikes I saw. My commute is in the opposite direction to the main traffic, and I lost count after 20+ bikes in the first kilometre.

I overdressed like crazy, and had to stop three times - once to downgrade mitts, once to strip off a layer, and once to take a photo . My cell phone camera wasn't focusing in the cold/dark though, so here's a very blurry picture:



Also: I found some polar fleece socks at the back of my closet, and managed to squeeze them in to my (laces loosened) regular bike shoes. Toes weren't cold at all, even though the ride took me an hour!
How many miles was your ride one way?
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 09:33 AM   #6
charbucks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Bikes:
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
How many miles was your ride one way?
6 miles, with one mid-sized hill (I think it's about 200 feet). It usually takes me about 35 minutes, so an hour is close to double.
charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 10:49 AM   #7
Notso_fastLane
Senior Member
 
Notso_fastLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Medford, OR
Bikes: Kona MTN bike, Bent TW Elegance
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're a better man than I (regardless of actual gender. ). If it got that bad with any regularity, I'd have to go with a trike.
Notso_fastLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 11:16 AM   #8
neil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arg. I was promised 60% chance of flurries on three days in the past week. Still nothing.

I hate this time of year...there's little bits of ice here and there, so I want my studs, but it's 95% bare pavement, so I don't. End result is that I take the bus. It's killing me.
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 11:32 AM   #9
charbucks
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Bikes:
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane View Post
You're a better man than I (regardless of actual gender. ). If it got that bad with any regularity, I'd have to go with a trike.
To be honest... I frequently work from home, and I take the bus when I'm lazy (free bus pass). I only end up biking about 3 days a week, and usually not when it's super cold. Yesterday was fun though!

It's kind of funny to see how many Albertans are flocking to the winter cycling forum...
charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 08:48 PM   #10
chriskmurray
Senior Member
 
chriskmurray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Give it! They are saying we will get some tonight/tomorrow but I think they are liars. Maybe this year will be different though. I want at least one good blizzard.
chriskmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 10:55 AM   #11
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along
 
redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seville, FL
Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chriskmurray, my twin lives down there and she reported snow last night. Did you ride today yet?

This morning was awesome, but the sun is out now and I don't see how the snow will survive. Maybe we'll get some more tonight too
redeyedtreefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.