Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-12, 10:34 AM   #1
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
First Ride in with Studs

Well, it snowed yesterday and last night so, after watching the news forecast, I decided to put on one studded tire up front for traction just in case. They were calling for more snow later in the night and I didnt want to get up any earlier to switch tires.

This morning came and most of the snow melted but I rode on. A strong headwind of 15-20 mph along with studded tires and the rolling resistance they give, it was a tough ride in. Average speed..... 10.5 mph. Every time I was getting some speed, wind would slap me around like a little boy.

I now know why people have dedicated winter bikes or at least different rims and tires to switch out for snow.

It was still fun though!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0774.jpg (78.8 KB, 26 views)
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:24 AM   #2
ckaspar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: You have really nice furniture
Bikes:
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is this "snow" you speak of??
ckaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:32 AM   #3
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaspar View Post
What is this "snow" you speak of??
Ours looked like this early yesterday and when it was all done we had 10 inches of it and are still digging ourselves out.



I don't have any issue with riding in any winter conditions as I have multiple weapons... the dedicated winter bike wears studded tyres year round, the extra cycle gets around really well even without studs, and for heavy snow I have the Puginator.

Saw a woman riding this morning when I took the girls to school (treated them to a ride in the car) and she was having the worst time on roads that were not bad as they had been plowed and sanded but could see she has no skills and was taking the lane at 5 mph which was not a good thing.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 12:57 PM   #4
erig007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 6367 km away from the center of the Earth
Bikes:
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Light studded tires are usually enough on roads most of the time. I use kenda klondike tires all winter long even in thick snow and have no problems with it. I would use heavier studded tires only on one foot or more deep snowy backcountry areas

Last edited by erig007; 11-08-12 at 01:03 PM.
erig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:20 PM   #5
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Ours looked like this early yesterday and when it was all done we had 10 inches of it and are still digging ourselves out.



I don't have any issue with riding in any winter conditions as I have multiple weapons... the dedicated winter bike wears studded tyres year round, the extra cycle gets around really well even without studs, and for heavy snow I have the Puginator.

Saw a woman riding this morning when I took the girls to school (treated them to a ride in the car) and she was having the worst time on roads that were not bad as they had been plowed and sanded but could see she has no skills and was taking the lane at 5 mph which was not a good thing.
Is this in Portland?
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:22 PM   #6
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erig007 View Post
Light studded tires are usually enough on roads most of the time. I use kenda klondike tires all winter long even in thick snow and have no problems with it. I would use heavier studded tires only on one foot or more deep snowy backcountry areas
Its a he11 of a workout! I thought i was gonna die, especially with the headwind.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:32 PM   #7
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick
 
hubcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
Its a he11 of a workout! I thought i was gonna die, especially with the headwind.
Just think how bad it is going to be when you put the rear studded tire on!
hubcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:46 PM   #8
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
Is this in Portland?
This would be a national emergency in Portland... they shut down when there is an inch of snow and we got 10 inches of the white stuff here in Edmonton yesterday.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:54 PM   #9
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
Just think how bad it is going to be when you put the rear studded tire on!
i really though i was going to die.

Do you come out in spring like a monster once you put reg. tires on?
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:54 PM   #10
chefisaac
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
This would be a national emergency in Portland... they shut down when there is an inch of snow and we got 10 inches of the white stuff here in Edmonton yesterday.
lol, yes.... that is true. heck even a flurry gets everyone in a panic.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:19 PM   #11
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just took this picture of my housemate's trike which is an excellent winter bike... will be digging this one out later and swap in the studded front wheel and have a trike-port in the works.



It is an immensely stable bike and am also thinking of mounting studded tyres on the rear to improve traction on ice as he uses it year round and is safer on three wheels than he is on two feet.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:24 PM   #12
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
lol, yes.... that is true. heck even a flurry gets everyone in a panic.
Our neighbouring city shut down it's public transit service yesterday because of the freezing rain that was topped off with the aforementioned snow... you know it's bad when this happens.

Our city buses kept running although the delays reached over 30 minutes and have seen storms where the buses were delayed over an hour which made it look like they were running back on time.

A bicycle is one of the best vehicles in this kind of weather as you are usually more secure and stable on two studded tyres than you are on foot and have a much better time of than the motorists.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 07:21 PM   #13
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick
 
hubcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
i really though i was going to die.

Do you come out in spring like a monster once you put reg. tires on?
You will indeed be pleasantly surprised how smooth and quick your slicks roll after a season on studs. And no doubt it makes you a stronger rider.
hubcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 12:31 PM   #14
ckaspar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: You have really nice furniture
Bikes:
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Ours looked like this early yesterday and when it was all done we had 10 inches of it and are still digging ourselves out.



I don't have any issue with riding in any winter conditions as I have multiple weapons... the dedicated winter bike wears studded tyres year round, the extra cycle gets around really well even without studs, and for heavy snow I have the Puginator.

Saw a woman riding this morning when I took the girls to school (treated them to a ride in the car) and she was having the worst time on roads that were not bad as they had been plowed and sanded but could see she has no skills and was taking the lane at 5 mph which was not a good thing.

Wowee. So pretty. It is images like this that make me sad I live in Sunny So. Cal. but then being a 32 year So. Cal. resident I am pretty sure I would freeze to death the second I walked outside if I were in your photo.

I do love the difference between how cities deal with mother nature.

A light drizzle nearly shuts down LA.
An inch of snow shuts down Portland
10 inches of snow and you guys are still out doing what you need to do

If it snowed even a 1/4" here in LA I am certain there would be a state of emergency and National Guard would be called in to keep the peace.
ckaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 01:00 PM   #15
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaspar View Post
Wowee. So pretty. It is images like this that make me sad I live in Sunny So. Cal. but then being a 32 year So. Cal. resident I am pretty sure I would freeze to death the second I walked outside if I were in your photo.

I do love the difference between how cities deal with mother nature.

A light drizzle nearly shuts down LA.
An inch of snow shuts down Portland
10 inches of snow and you guys are still out doing what you need to do

If it snowed even a 1/4" here in LA I am certain there would be a state of emergency and National Guard would be called in to keep the peace.
Seeing the world covered with snow here is rather beautiful and the temperature tends to go up when it snows and goes down when the skies are clear, this happens as it gets too cold for condensation to happen and no clouds can form.

This kind of weather calls for a fatbike (which I have) and my dedicated winter / ice bike can also handle this weather extremely well and when the roads get slick and polished.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 01:09 PM   #16
ckaspar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: You have really nice furniture
Bikes:
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Seeing the world covered with snow here is rather beautiful and the temperature tends to go up when it snows and goes down when the skies are clear, this happens as it gets too cold for condensation to happen and no clouds can form.

This kind of weather calls for a fatbike (which I have) and my dedicated winter / ice bike can also handle this weather extremely well and when the roads get slick and polished.
Ya well....My "cold ride" today consisted of 61* temps. My family already thinks I am nuts for riding in that kind of weather. Sub zero and I would freeze to death or they would lock me up in the funny farm. Gotta hand it to you true Winter cyclists. It is a true dedication.
ckaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 01:16 PM   #17
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaspar View Post
Ya well....My "cold ride" today consisted of 61* temps. My family already thinks I am nuts for riding in that kind of weather. Sub zero and I would freeze to death or they would lock me up in the funny farm. Gotta hand it to you true Winter cyclists. It is a true dedication.
I will tell you a little secret.

Shhhhhh...

It is not as hard as it looks.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 01:07 PM   #18
adventurepdx
Senior Member
 
adventurepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
This would be a national emergency in Portland... they shut down when there is an inch of snow and we got 10 inches of the white stuff here in Edmonton yesterday.
Aah, Sixty Fiver, don't get ​too smug, or we'll make you spend the entire rainy season, er, winter, here in Portland. ;-)

Yes, an inch of snow can shut down the city, but then again, it barely snows here so the city isn't set up to deal with it. But we can get large snows every great once in awhile, as we did during the three week snow/ice/cold event known as "Snowpocalypse 2008". We got a couple feet then (cumulative).



(And yep, I did bike during Snowpocalypse.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3127840812_9486996918_n.jpg (33.4 KB, 4 views)
adventurepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 01:20 PM   #19
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurepdx View Post
Aah, Sixty Fiver, don't get ​too smug, or we'll make you spend the entire rainy season, er, winter, here in Portland. ;-)

Yes, an inch of snow can shut down the city, but then again, it barely snows here so the city isn't set up to deal with it. But we can get large snows every great once in awhile, as we did during the three week snow/ice/cold event known as "Snowpocalypse 2008". We got a couple feet then (cumulative).



(And yep, I did bike during Snowpocalypse.)
I think I rode through the blizzard of 2009 in Portland... recall that I was riding my Raleigh Twenty past miles of cars from the south side to the north to pick up my wife... after going out for dinner we went riding on streets that were bereft of cars save for those who were driving their Subarus with wanton abandon.

Portland winters are wet and cold and dismal compared to ours which are at least, bright and sunny.

I should be back for Christmas.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 11:41 AM   #20
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along
 
redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seville, FL
Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
A bicycle is one of the best vehicles in this kind of weather as you are usually more secure and stable on two studded tyres than you are on foot and have a much better time of than the motorists.

This. I found this to be true even on my unstudded slick hybrid tires. There was a slight improvement in walking traction when I got snow boots, but my bike was still better.
redeyedtreefr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.