Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/)
-   -   Winter jacket... Softshell? (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/907860-winter-jacket-softshell.html)

Gjc985 08-16-13 06:09 PM

Winter jacket... Softshell?
 
I am looking for advice on a winter cyclin jacket. I live in boston and last winter/spring was brutal. I want to get a jacket that will keep me warm but also allow me to breath so when i sweat I dont start getting cold. Wind has also been a killer so I really have no clue what im looking for. Please help thanks

MichaelW 08-18-13 05:03 AM

My winter jacket for the last decade has been a Paramo. I bought it before anyone ever made up the word "softshell"
The system is rated for the worst winter conditions such as cold rain but is not technically water PROOF. I have toured in heavy cold rain in Norway, all day long and at the end of the day, my baselayer was dry and I was comfortable. The jacket dries out within 20 mins in a tent.
With modern softshells, you have to judge how much extended rain riding you intend to do.

bigfred 08-18-13 06:35 AM

I've been using a Hincapie SO this winter and am happy with it. YMMV

Gjc985 08-18-13 07:44 AM

I have a gabba jersey for rain which i woul prob wear under the jacket to keep me dry

Gjc985 08-18-13 07:45 AM

Also i am looking for something with rear pockets

Elvis Shumaker 09-04-13 02:25 AM

If you can live with hi-vis: My British police surplus cycling jacket (waterproof, breathable, inexpensive) did well last winter - pretty substantial and much roomier than other cycling jackets I have. On the coldest days I wore a fleece gilet underneath - you probably have that maritime climate in Boston with horrible moisture laden winds, and a cosy extra layer helps. I feel the cold more than most, and never overheated with this setup. An extra advantage for the shorter days is that it is plastered in reflective tape.

Don't all cycling jackets have back pockets? All of mine seem to have whether I want them or not.

scoatw 09-04-13 05:10 PM

I've been commuting the past six winters wearing a Showers Pass 2.0 as my outer shell and a thin cross country ski jacket from Sport Hill underneath as my middle shell. As the weather gets colder I make adjustments with whatever jersey I wear under that. Long sleeved or insulated, etc. FYI. for the legs I wear Sport Hill XC pants. They are the bomb.

digibud 09-14-13 08:20 AM

Bellweather has some good gear. Craft has a lot of xcountry ski jackets. Look for something that has a windproof front and a breathable weave in back. For a ride of a few blocks it's not important but if you commute 10 or 15mi in winter, being able to get your sweat to pass out the back is important. My wife and I will stop occasionally and brush off each other's backside, clearing the frost that forms from our sweat. You may need a windproof layer over that in really cold temps but down to about 0F I much prefer my backside to be very breathable.

bent-not-broken 09-17-13 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digibud (Post 16064644)
Bellweather has some good gear. Craft has a lot of xcountry ski jackets. Look for something that has a windproof front and a breathable weave in back. For a ride of a few blocks it's not important but if you commute 10 or 15mi in winter, being able to get your sweat to pass out the back is important. My wife and I will stop occasionally and brush off each other's backside, clearing the frost that forms from our sweat. You may need a windproof layer over that in really cold temps but down to about 0F I much prefer my backside to be very breathable.

Excellent advice above. Need to vent or you will be very wet and cold. Wool layers help by retaining insulating value when wet

fietsbob 09-17-13 01:12 PM

I Got a Showers Pass Portland Jacket , but often as not, I use the Carhartt Safety Parka ..
neon lime and wide reflective stripes ..

Rich Gibson 09-17-13 02:03 PM

I'm looking for one which wicks. I don't plan on riding in the rain and today since it was in the mid fifties I wore a nice L.L. Bean goretex foul weather light jacket. The problem is, being goretex it kept in the sweat! I was drenched by the time I was finished..and shivering from the cold and wind making the inside frigid.

Any reasonably priced wicking outer shells? I don't care about owning a name brand 'cycling' shell, just a wind breaker which wicks away sweat.

Thanks,

Leebo 09-17-13 02:16 PM

Boston? Go to the new balance outlet store in brighton. I use a runners jacket that is windproof in the front, wicking mesh in the back. Side pockets with full zip. Fairly light weight but great to layer up. Great deals there on tights, not bike store fancy prices.

Rich Gibson 09-17-13 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leebo (Post 16076144)
Boston? Go to the new balance outlet store in brighton. I use a runners jacket that is windproof in the front, wicking mesh in the back. Side pockets with full zip. Fairly light weight but great to layer up. Great deals there on tights, not bike store fancy prices.

Is there a model name on the label?

Rich

Leebo 09-18-13 12:08 PM

No model name, but usually a good selection @ good prices.

Leebo 09-18-13 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gibson (Post 16076098)
I'm looking for one which wicks. I don't plan on riding in the rain and today since it was in the mid fifties I wore a nice L.L. Bean goretex foul weather light jacket. The problem is, being goretex it kept in the sweat! I was drenched by the time I was finished..and shivering from the cold and wind making the inside frigid.

Any reasonably priced wicking outer shells? I don't care about owning a name brand 'cycling' shell, just a wind breaker which wicks away sweat.
.

Thanks,

Look for a wind proof fleece.

Rich Gibson 09-18-13 12:22 PM

I found a nice wind jacket at a local Perfromance Bicycle. It has zippable vents all over the sides, back and sleeves. On special it was less than $50.00.

bikemig 09-18-13 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gibson (Post 16076098)
I'm looking for one which wicks. I don't plan on riding in the rain and today since it was in the mid fifties I wore a nice L.L. Bean goretex foul weather light jacket. The problem is, being goretex it kept in the sweat! I was drenched by the time I was finished..and shivering from the cold and wind making the inside frigid.

Any reasonably priced wicking outer shells? I don't care about owning a name brand 'cycling' shell, just a wind breaker which wicks away sweat.

Thanks,

I like an untreated anorak or a nylon shell of some type; they're cheap but perhaps getting a bit harder to find because not very high tech. It makes a great outer shell for days when rain is not a problem.

rumrunn6 09-18-13 01:15 PM

whatever you get it's about layers. base, thermal & shell. it helps if all 3 layers provide adjustment such as at the neck and/or armpits

for me the winter cycling was commuting in the dark so I used a durable cycling specific rain jacket with added reflective tape. once the sun came up in the spring I only used it when steady rain was predicted.

scoatw 09-27-13 05:27 PM

Their are a lot of people who go with the J&G waterproof, breathable rain jacket. It makes an excellent outer shell in winter. And its less than half the price of a Showers Pass elite.

thechemist 09-27-13 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gibson (Post 16079690)
I found a nice wind jacket at a local Perfromance Bicycle. It has zippable vents all over the sides, back and sleeves. On special it was less than $50.00.

Totally unrelated but nikoncafe forum rich Gibson ?

Rich Gibson 09-27-13 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thechemist (Post 16110887)
Totally unrelated but nikoncafe forum rich Gibson ?

Yep! That's me.:thumb:

fietsbob 09-28-13 03:41 PM

Grundens .. go to where the Fishermen get their off shore foul-weather gear . Gloucester ?

and wear layers , poly pro. and polyester with wicking treatments . they dont absorb water.

I can take off fleece stuff whack it a couple times on a railing and shake out the water
and then put it back on. not dry but not as wet as it was before.

flan48 10-18-13 11:40 AM

Has anyone looked at, or used the North Face Apex Bionic jacket as an outer layer,
Or the LL Bean Ascent Windstopper?
Thanks!
Best regards

Carbonfiberboy 10-18-13 07:29 PM

Voler has a wonderful new jacket. See my post over on the 41:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...al-road-jacket

rumrunn6 11-21-13 09:21 AM

cycling specific rain jacket without thermal lining and then vary your layers depending on predicted temps. be sure your layers can be vented like at the neck. the jacket shud have pit zips


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 PM.