Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/)
-   -   Thinking of designing my own handlebar based hand protector (http://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/929054-thinking-designing-my-own-handlebar-based-hand-protector.html)

jrickards 01-08-14 08:17 AM

Thinking of designing my own handlebar based hand protector
 
I don't care if anyone "steals" the idea from me and runs with it but here are my thoughts.
  • designed like a front wind fairing but just around the handlebars, nothing bigger
  • doesn't completely enclose hands like pogies
  • not sure how to attach to handle bar, wondering if design of handlebar bag "hooks" might work
  • playing with the idea of using 2 plastic litre/quart pop/soda bottles as a start
  • tossing around the name: handle bar + bra = HandleBrar

wphamilton 01-08-14 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrickards (Post 16392904)
I don't care if anyone "steals" the idea from me and runs with it but here are my thoughts.
  • designed like a front wind fairing but just around the handlebars, nothing bigger
  • doesn't completely enclose hands like pogies
  • not sure how to attach to handle bar, wondering if design of handlebar bag "hooks" might work
  • playing with the idea of using 2 plastic litre/quart pop/soda bottles as a start
  • tossing around the name: handle bar + bra = HandleBrar

Coincidentally I just made something like that for this cold snap, since none of my gloves are up to the task below 20. It stretches across the entire front of the bars, and is as deep as the bottom of my drop bars. A couple of inches taller than the bar tops, just to block a little wind. There is one inch clearance to the left and right of the drops. So that incarnation is pretty large - I think with a straight bar you could make one half the size.

I did it crudely and quickly since it's only for a few days. It's just a rectangular piece of coroplast curved in the front and then bent back at the sides of the bars. I put a coroplast bottom on it for rigidity, all the way back to the head tube. On top, just a piece of clear vinyl gorilla taped to the top. The mounting is simple: just a short wooden strut lashed on top of the stem and ziptied to the box top front center. Near the end of the bar hooks are strapped to the bottom. A nylon strap hangs from the strut down to the bottom panel, just in front of the handlebar. That's mainly because there's enough room to shove my bundle of clothes in, and I didn't want it sagging down into the brakes or wheel. It took maybe an hour and a half to slap together.

The good news is that the enclosed box does wonders for keeping your hands warm, no complaints on that score. It's bulky and goofy looking though. The aerodynamics is questionable. Your idea of a cylindrical section in front of your flat bars probably works, maybe better, but I suspect that it will turn out larger than you envision. To accommodate your brake levers and mounting structure. Bear in mind also that to keep your hands warm it's important to also keep the wrists sheltered, and your design will likely take that into account.

nkfrench 01-08-14 07:07 PM

I've seen pictures of plastic 1-gallon milk jugs cut up for similar use. Sorry, I don't have a link.
The opening was about the same diameter as a handlebar. I think it was intended for flat bars, not drops.

Tim_Iowa 01-09-14 11:04 AM

Search motorcycle adventure touring forums. There are some pretty inventive old dudes out there. Bottles is a good start. You may also find motorcycle ones on clearance that would probably mount up pretty easily.

jrickards 01-10-14 08:15 AM

Yes, straight bars.

Thanks for the input

chandltp 01-10-14 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrickards (Post 16392904)
doesn't completely enclose hands like pogies

Just curious.. but why is this a bad thing?

marathon marke 01-10-14 11:06 PM

I made some out of plastic milk jugs a few years ago, but never spent much time refining them. Just the fact that they cut the wind on your hand really helps a lot. Bu these days I just put bar Mitts on when the temps get really low.

http://www.theprodigalcyclist.com/20...-grandmas.html

kris7047th 01-11-14 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=359116

http://www.pogies.com/

Bar Mitts

jrickards 01-13-14 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandltp (Post 16399549)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrickards
doesn't completely enclose hands like pogies

Just curious.. but why is this a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing, I'm just considering an alternative "format", one that might be easier to DIY.

fietsbob 01-13-14 01:35 PM

There are Brush Guards out of Plastic for Dirt motorcycle handle bars already..

keeps the caning from nature from getting to be too much for your Knuckles.

lubes17319 01-13-14 03:45 PM

Slapped these together years ago....
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uf7fBEMrD2...+pogies+03.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uf7fBEMrD2...+pogies+04.JPG
They did the job of cutting down the wind well enough....which only helps when moving.

I finally sat in front of the sewing machine & stitched up these.
http://imageshack.com/a/img94/1421/0130jpak2.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1121/0130jpak1.jpg
No real need for gloves anymore - I think I've had to put on gloves about 2-3 times in the past 3 winters so far (for long descents).

rumrunn6 01-13-14 03:52 PM

wow, they even make these for drop bars!

http://www.pogies.com/

jrickards 01-14-14 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubes17319 (Post 16407875)
I finally sat in front of the sewing machine & stitched up these.
http://imageshack.com/a/img94/1421/0130jpak2.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1121/0130jpak1.jpg
No real need for gloves anymore - I think I've had to put on gloves about 2-3 times in the past 3 winters so far (for long descents).

Nicely done! I've read about someone who took the sleeves off an old winter jacket and, with some sewing, made some pogies out of them. I think they put the elastic cuff over the (straight) handlebar and cables.

Question, for you and anyone who uses soft pogies (ie, not neoprene), are the openings wide enough for your hand/cuff/sleeve to go into without bunching up or needing the other hand to pull up (ie, the other hand that is already in the other pogie)?

lubes17319 01-14-14 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrickards (Post 16410011)
Nicely done! I've read about someone who took the sleeves off an old winter jacket and, with some sewing, made some pogies out of them. I think they put the elastic cuff over the (straight) handlebar and cables.

Question, for you and anyone who uses soft pogies (ie, not neoprene), are the openings wide enough for your hand/cuff/sleeve to go into without bunching up or needing the other hand to pull up (ie, the other hand that is already in the other pogie)?

Exactly what I did....cut off shoulder sections & sleeves, and used those. Sleeve ends go over bar, and chest section was used for hand entry.

For the part that goes over bar, I sewed in elastic cord w/cord locks.
For the hand entry, I sewed in a length of metal coat hanger, so that it's always open. (as you see in 2nd pic) No bunching up happens for my set, I made the opening about 8" diameter so my sasquatch-size hands fit nicely. I also have enough room to store small items (small gloves/beanie/food) inside the front pocket area, below brake levers.

A recent update/improvement I did was installing grommets on the outside ends of the pogies (formerly attached w/stretch cord to bar ends) & installed w/a set of these. :thumb:

jrickards 01-14-14 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubes17319 (Post 16410097)
A recent update/improvement I did was installing grommets on the outside ends of the pogies (formerly attached w/stretch cord to bar ends) & installed w/a set of these. :thumb:

I don't recognize those, what are they?

lubes17319 01-14-14 02:27 PM

^ bar ends: http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/b...69&id=14977202
...or any design similar would work well

dramiscram 01-14-14 06:43 PM

Handlebrar? Two thumbs up for the name! Just out of curiosity, why do you need those? I bought a nice pair of mitt that keep my hands warm on the bike down to -25 celcius.

jrickards 01-15-14 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramiscram (Post 16411498)
Handlebrar? Two thumbs up for the name! Just out of curiosity, why do you need those? I bought a nice pair of mitt that keep my hands warm on the bike down to -25 celcius.

I have a pair of mitts and also a pair of gloves that can keep me warm to that and lower (last year's -32C, windchill -42C) but they are so bulky that I can't keep my fingers between the bar (straight) and the brake levers because when I need to use them, I can't simply uncurl my fingers and reach over the levers to grip them, my mitts/gloves get in the way so I must remove my hand from the bar and then regrip it with my fingers over the levers, not quick enough to do when I need the brakes *NOW*! Being able to wear just thin gloves/mitts, stay warm and easily access the levers is what bar mitts/handlebrar would offer me.

jrickards 01-15-14 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubes17319 (Post 16410730)
^ bar ends: http://www.theshadowconspiracy.com/b...69&id=14977202
...or any design similar would work well

OK, now I'm piecing it together.

dramiscram 01-15-14 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrickards (Post 16413435)
I have a pair of mitts and also a pair of gloves that can keep me warm to that and lower (last year's -32C, windchill -42C) but they are so bulky that I can't keep my fingers between the bar (straight) and the brake levers because when I need to use them, I can't simply uncurl my fingers and reach over the levers to grip them, my mitts/gloves get in the way so I must remove my hand from the bar and then regrip it with my fingers over the levers, not quick enough to do when I need the brakes *NOW*! Being able to wear just thin gloves/mitts, stay warm and easily access the levers is what bar mitts/handlebrar would offer me.

I didn't think about that and I never paid attention to that detail. I think I'm okay with my mitts but I'll pay attention on the next ride with the winter bike. This week its mild and dry enough so I'm on the summer bike.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 AM.