Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-14, 07:16 PM   #1
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Bikes: Surly Krampus
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nicotine

45 degrees North has some strange product names...who calls a balaclava a Toaster Fork?

Anyway, I was looking at a 29 x 2.3" tire, called Nicotine. After searching on Google, I only found one review on this tire, and the guy didn't even use it on snow! He said it was absolutely fantastic on dirt, though.

I wonder if these tires would do me better than the 29 x 3" Knard tires that came with my bike. Has anybody here used these Nicotine tires?
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 12:43 PM   #2
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Nobody runs a studded tire not on ice/snow. REALLY heavy and there are numerous , better, lighter choices out there for mud,dirt, hardpack etc.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 09:58 AM   #3
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 3,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
[HR][/HR]what are you hoping to accomplish with this tire change
and is ice and snow the primary intended use for your bike
because
as leebo said
if you are riding in the non ice and snow months
studded tires are a complete waste

Last edited by Wilfred Laurier; 08-05-14 at 10:27 AM.
Wilfred Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 10:55 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
I just have a bike I leave parked until I need the studded tires, then I pump the tires up a bit and go..

All Weather Sports , snow cat rims (45mm wide) and Nokian Tires , now in their 20th year. still work fine.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 05:35 PM   #5
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Bikes: Surly Krampus
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably should have been more specific. I do only want the new tires for winter, as the knards are fantastic everywhere else.Last winter, I only hit one patch pf ice the whole season, but that was all it took. My tailbone hurt for six weeks after that. I've always considered studs to be more or less a liability, but I'm having second thoughts about that now.
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 08:03 AM   #6
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
What is the liability for staying upright on ice, snow or slush type conditions? Ontario? Isn't that like 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor skiing? I run 2 dedicated winter commuters, one with drop bars and 700 x 35 nokians and the other with 26x 1.95 nokians. Works for me just north of Boston MA. Lots of freeze /thaw with mixed precipitation.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 08:37 AM   #7
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 3,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
I probably should have been more specific. I do only want the new tires for winter, as the knards are fantastic everywhere else.Last winter, I only hit one patch pf ice the whole season, but that was all it took. My tailbone hurt for six weeks after that. I've always considered studs to be more or less a liability, but I'm having second thoughts about that now.
as leebo said
the minor loss of traction on dry surfaces
means nothing compared to the ability to safely ride on ice
which without studs
is almost impossible
Wilfred Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 10:12 PM   #8
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Bikes: Surly Krampus
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
What is the liability for staying upright on ice, snow or slush type conditions? Ontario? Isn't that like 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor skiing? I run 2 dedicated winter commuters, one with drop bars and 700 x 35 nokians and the other with 26x 1.95 nokians. Works for me just north of Boston MA. Lots of freeze /thaw with mixed precipitation.
Actually, southern Ontario usually has pretty mild winters. This last one was colder and snowier than usual, but that was an exception. Usually I see snow fall and then melt a day or two later, with temperatures going up and down around the freezing point.

Just talking about this makes me think about how ugly Ontario is, at least in the south (the north still has beautiful forests). The whole place is a mess of urban sprawl, with wet crappy weather. And if you live near Hamilton, that's worse than smoking a pack a day.
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 07:41 AM   #9
Wilfred Laurier
Seņor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 3,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Actually, southern Ontario usually has pretty mild winters. This last one was colder and snowier than usual, but that was an exception. Usually I see snow fall and then melt a day or two later, with temperatures going up and down around the freezing point.
i started writing a post
about how s ontario doesnt really have winter
but it read too insulting for my taste

but the mention of s ontario being ugly
we i just got back to rural north-central ontario
from a trip down south
and i have to say
on the way down
as soon as i reached the traffic feeding the superhighway
i could feel my blood pressure going up
Wilfred Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 08:31 PM   #10
El Cid
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Waterloo, ON
Bikes: Surly Krampus
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier View Post
i started writing a post
about how s ontario doesnt really have winter
but it read too insulting for my taste

but the mention of s ontario being ugly
we i just got back to rural north-central ontario
from a trip down south
and i have to say
on the way down
as soon as i reached the traffic feeding the superhighway
i could feel my blood pressure going up
Cold, snowy. Freezing rain, dirty windows, smog clouds, and an overcast sky. Cars, noise, lights, tall buildings, big highways. Towers of glass and steel; monoliths. These things aren't really beautiful, but they are. I like the look of a dimly lit community path under a pitch black sky -- the one I take to work has a certain eerie feeling, like something out of The Twilight Zone. My favourite part of town is the old downtown core, filled with abandoned storefronts and ramshackle houses. I like looking at the yellow streetlights -- the ones that aren't smashed -- as they make a halo of light through a heavy mist. All the things that make my home depressing, the urban decay, the smog, the ugliness...I find them romantic.

I'm sure to be a rat in my next life, finding shelter in cold asphalt, eating whatever falls between the cracks.
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 AM.