Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member CanadianBiker32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bar Mitts For Fat Bike - Opinions

    So been riding Fat Bike now for a long while in winter here, and noticed many people using the Bar Mitts.
    Would I be warm with Bar mitts on my fat bike for riding in -25C to - 35C temperatures vs using my regular mitts?

    As i ride without eye protection and need at times take off my regular mitts to wipe off the ice forming on my eyelashes.

    with bar mitts , in riding in -25C temperatures as i just did at this one race this weekend, would i my hands be warm and would i not need to use hand warmers? would i still need to wear a smaller glove on top of bar mit? thanks

  2. #2
    ride for a change modernjess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata
    Posts
    2,225
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 45NRTH Cobrafists, so they are my only frame of reference. IMHO they are literally too warm for anything above 10F. They are very easy to get hands in and out of and have a venting zipper that is easy to operate from inside the mitts. It's nice to be able to ride with very thin gloves or even bare handed so you get a more normal feeling on the bar controls.

    Considering the temp range you are riding in I think they'd be fantastic, and they have a little pouch in them to hold chemical warmers. There are a lot if models and manufacturers to choose from these days.

  3. #3
    meh Hypno Toad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    15 Surly Pugsley; 09 Kona Dew Drop, 13 Felt Z85; 03 Marin Nail Trail; 11 Globe Daily: 96 Mondonico
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32 View Post
    So been riding Fat Bike now for a long while in winter here, and noticed many people using the Bar Mitts.
    Would I be warm with Bar mitts on my fat bike for riding in -25C to - 35C temperatures vs using my regular mitts?

    As i ride without eye protection and need at times take off my regular mitts to wipe off the ice forming on my eyelashes.

    with bar mitts , in riding in -25C temperatures as i just did at this one race this weekend, would i my hands be warm and would i not need to use hand warmers? would i still need to wear a smaller glove on top of bar mit? thanks

    For a lower price point from the 45NRTH - Pogies / Gupgum Gear

    Like modernjess said, pogies are too much for temps above 0F to 10F. I have used my pogies at temps as cold as -15F with PI Elite gloves; and needed to push up my jacket sleeves to cool my hands. I still had long-sleeve wool jersey cover my arms - and above the pogies, I had steam (sweat) frosting over my sleeves. In other words, my hands were not cold. You may want to wear lighter gloves to avoid over-heating, but no need for room inside the pogies.

    Footnote - the pogies will be back in use the rest of the week for my commute, morning temps are forecast for 0 to -10F.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I'm blaming you. There's a difference.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kingston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lake Forest, IL
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use moose mitts. They work for me from the high 20's F down to as cold as I have been out which is -16F. I wear different gloves depending on how cold it is.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    8,701
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones that are Neoprene wont be as warm as the ones like 2 sleeping bags , but they will reduce the wind chill on your hands from your speed .

  6. #6
    Senior Member chandltp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Erie, PA
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scoot.../dp/B002887TWE

    They're not perfect but they're cheap. I vary my glove choices based on temperature. I put in expanding bar end plugs or a bar end mirror to hold them in place. Just cut a small hole and put it through.

    I never had much luck with chemical hand warmers staying warm in them, though.

    I have thrown hand warmers in my gloves when it less than -5F. But that's all about personal comfort. My hands hurt when they get cold.. unfortunately started when I was 30. I hardly had to wear gloves before that.
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bruised's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Salsa Warbird, GT Timberline 29er, Vintage Trek 7000
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    I use these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scoot.../dp/B002887TWE

    They're not perfect but they're cheap. I vary my glove choices based on temperature. I put in expanding bar end plugs or a bar end mirror to hold them in place. Just cut a small hole and put it through.

    I never had much luck with chemical hand warmers staying warm in them, though.

    I have thrown hand warmers in my gloves when it less than -5F. But that's all about personal comfort. My hands hurt when they get cold.. unfortunately started when I was 30. I hardly had to wear gloves before that.
    I use those Scooter Logic mitts too. I find them a bit small and they make using the X9 shifters a bit difficult. Also, when I take a tumble I'm sometimes unable to get my hand out of the mitt quick enough and I end up dropping on my elbow and side. (this is when riding snow trails on the fat bike).

    They're still worth it though, I always use the pogies anytime it drops below about 20F or so.

    I've been struggling with cold hands and feet all winter. I've just found a working solution for my hands - I use a pair of those thin latex gloves then a pair of warm padded gloves and my pogies. Without the latex liner my hands sweat and the gloves quickly become wet, then cold. The latex liner keeps my hands dry and warm. I found a box of 100 for less than $10.

    My feet are another issue. I've tried all sorts of combos without any real success. The latest failure is a felt lined neoprene sock. A waste of $40, they did nothing for warmth.

    Ah well, the snow will soon be gone
    More about Fat Biking, Touring and general madness at 'Fat Man Biking' Blog.

    I love 'soccer' - Americas Sport of the Future Since 1972.

  8. #8
    Senior Member chandltp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Erie, PA
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others
    Posts
    1,626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    My feet are another issue. I've tried all sorts of combos without any real success. The latest failure is a felt lined neoprene sock. A waste of $40, they did nothing for warmth.
    I use insulated hunting boots. Low enough to pedal in comfortably but pretty warm and water proof. The neoprene socks worked so well that my wool socks underneath were sweaty by the time I got to work.
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •