Old 11-07-09, 02:49 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JimBeans83
Clifton, any significant difference between (1) mounting it lower (does this increase lighting of the ground more so than if it's above), (2) the interference from the [left] side of the wheel. Why mount on right side ? (I think) - seems like for visibility from opposing traffic, if you're not in the old world, you'd prefer it to be on the left? Good idea using a common bracket to mount it this way - I think we've got a stash of these from seat post light mounts.
The lower you mount the lamp, you get longer shadows from hazards and they're more visible/avoidable.

You mount on the drivetrain side so that if you lay your bike down to fix a flat, stop and eat lunch, have a ditch nap at 3am during a 600k, etc... you don't have to choose between "do I lay it on my derailleurs, or my lamp head?" They're all on the same side.
Plus, the connectors for most dynohubs are drive-side and you don't have to run super long wires crossing the fork crown this way.