View Single Post
Old 11-08-09, 11:40 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Time to resurrect this thread

Collected this Koga-Miyata FullPro-S a week ago. It is ueberrare. It is not featured in any catalogue and I also have never encountered a pic or writing on it, not to mention spotting one live. Untill today I only heard a vague rumour about its excistance ...BUT now I got this one myself.

With it's age it is bit outside the scope of this thread (being 81-83), but at the same time it is just its age that makes it interesting. It is from 1977, what can be considered early for an attempt to create a bike with aerodynamic features.

The aerodynamic features: All cables run hidden inside the frame. All cables, so also the shift cables. The rear brake cable exits through a hole in the seatpost. Shifters are located on top the downtube. The seatstays are the fastback type. Brake calliper mounting bolts are of the recessed type, but they do not look like the generic ones you find on every (modernish) bike. They look, like the seatbolt, special milled for this frame. All stainless. The bottom bracket is with its 63mm width very narrow.

The bike came with full 1st gen Dura Ace, but with the aluminum Super Record headset. In an attempt to save weight maybe, as the aluminum Dura Ace EX came available only a couple of years later. 3T cockpit, of which the stem had seen drilling.

Pictures >>>

Close up of shifter unit on top down tube. The shifters are mounted directly to braze on, unlike with later AX style shifters which formed one assembly that you bolted onto the frame.

The shift cables enter downtube through brazed on minitubes...

.., leave seattube for front mech operation..

...and exit chainstay this way >>

Inside the frame the cables run guided (braze ons can be spotted when looking in the BB shell), but its looks like this is only for operation and not for installation. So last thing you want to do is replacing the cables.

With the rear brake cable routing it is more or less the same. Cable enters top tube right after the headlug >>>

...and exits through the seatpost. The procedure is: Set the post at the for you required height, mark where the cable has to leave, take post out and dril hole.

En profil pic of the frame:

The bolt that secures the post threads directly into the left seatstay. That bolt looks, like the recessed brake calliper mounting nuts, specially milled from stainless steel. No pic available yet. That the the bottom bracket shell is 63mm wide is hard to catch in a pic, but you can see a glimpse of the multiple holes drilled in the shell. This is not unique for this frame though. Many more Miyatas had it and all the other 'newer' FullPros I know had 'M' cut outs in the shell.

My knowlegde of Japanese is quite limited. I have absolutely no idea what this sign represents or says >>

Likes For Elev12k: