Old 11-09-09, 08:29 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by shelleyspins
My pain is in my trapezius and posterior delts, both sides but more intense on the right. I did a quick search but keep finding info regarding handlebar height. Could it be the handlebars?
I always suggest short reach bars for those with short torsos. Short reach bars (70-75mm) will reduce the reach to the brake hoods and hooks without creating knee to handlebar interference when riding out of the saddle. I like the Easton EC90-SLX3, but there are other good bars out there.

Excessive bar width could be a problem. About the only way to tell, is to buy narrower bars and try them. Some compact bars, like the FSA K-force compact, place the brake hoods as much as 2cm narrower than the bar ends, where the width is measured, so be careful or you'll get a double dose of narrowing. The 40cm c-c Easton bars that I use are about 13mm narrower at the hoods. I found the FSA bars to be too narrow in the same width.

Placement of the brake/shift levers can also be critical. Shimano brake hoods are the longest of all brands. That alone increases the reach when you're on the brake hoods. I find it critical for the area of the hood where my palm rests to be horizontal or angled up just a few degrees. I also avoid bars that have a large rampdown angle from the horizontal top to the area where the brake/shift lever mounts. That type of bend is far less common now, than it was 5 years ago. Most newer designs only have a few degrees of downward angle, when the end of the bar is set horizontal.

If your fitter set your saddle fore/aft by KOP, don't rule out the need to go further back, but only if you feel that weight on your hands is a problem.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 11-09-09 at 08:51 AM.