View Single Post
Old 11-09-09, 11:29 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by CravenMoarhead
Cool color. Plus you've got mounts to hold a rack and fenders...perfect for commuting.

I recently helped my brother upgrade a Huffy with the same Shimano drivetrain. We swapped the Shimano derailleurs out for Suntour Vx derailleurs and replaced the plastic shimano shifters with suntour stem mount shifters. And put some cheapo aero levers in place of the old turkey wings. Cost us less than 50 bux worth of parts and it made an appreciable difference.
My mountain bike has fenders and I'm planning on that being my bad weather bike, so I probably won't put fenders on this one. I would like a rear rack, however. I've got the mounts on the rear drop out for a rack, but there's no braze-ons for a rack on the seat stays. I'd want to use my panniers on the rack, so the seat-tube mounted style rack that I've seen probably wouldn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas?

The current derailleur works surprisingly well. Much better than I was anticipating. I'll probably leave that as-is, at least for the time being.

I did remove the suicide brake levers when I was adjusting everything. The brakes wanted to hang up a bit when they were attached, so I just took them off. I've thought about putting on some of those aero levers, but I'll probably have to wait until next month as I've about used up my allowance money for November.