View Single Post
Old 11-09-09, 06:50 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been car-free for 5 years, in NE Indiana, where the weather gets bad and the drivers get worse. When the last car gave it up, I realized that I'd only driven it once in the previous 5 weeks. Called the junkyard, waved bye-bye to the car, and took the chump-change I got for it and bought the family lunch.

I love the bike; the ride kills any anger/stress I leave work with, and stalls any I may run into at home. I feel more alive on days that I ride. I extend my commute by as much as seven miles just to get in the saddle time. There's maybe 5 or 6 weeks out of the year when it's just too nasty out to ride.

I also love the thought that, with everything I save by not buying gas/oil changes, tuneups, license plates, etc., I can put together a hellacious bike and still be money ahead!

It's also changed my whole outlook; I don't drive fast anymore when I DO drive, which only happens when someone hands me keys. I average about 2-3 drives a year. Everything outside the house, I channel it into logistics about the ride -- routes, time involved, weather, etc.

I wouldn't want to live without the bike; it would take a direct threat to my daughter to make me do that.