Old 11-12-09, 08:17 AM
vena_cava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since fanta510 seems to be the only poster in this thread who actually owns this jersey, I'll chime in, as a fellow owner and in the spirit of staying on topic.

I bought this jersey a little over a month ago (bought it directly from Earth Wind & Rider, so no Urban Velo logo), and I've worn it pretty much every day since I received it.

I had been looking for a medium-weight full-zip merino jersey with both side AND rear pockets. I have a few full-zip merino sweaters that I've picked up in thrift stores that I use almost exclusively in the winter months, but they're all a) a little too heavy to wear during the fall when it's in the 50s and high 40s, and b) lacking pockets, which in my opinion makes them a lot less functional for wearing off-bike. Ibex has some decent full-zip merino jerseys, but without side pockets. So I was psyched when I found the EWR hoodie, because the design was exactly what I'd been looking for. It works great both as a cycling jersey and as a sweater/jacket, hence the daily use.

I never use the thumb holes. I just don't find that I need them, but ymmv. The wrist cuffs are fitted pretty tight, which is great for when it's chilly out and you don't want the chill riding up your sleeves. However, the cuffs are so tight that it prevents me from pushing the sleeves up to my elbows when I start to get hot; I consider this to be a slight flaw in the design...it'd be much more convenient to be able to pull the sleeves up.

The hood is really convenient to have; it's thin enough to fit under a helmet and when I misjudge how cold it's going to be that day, it's much easier to just pull the hood up than it is to reach into my bag and pull out a hat.

BIG thanks to EWR for making it in a women's cut, too.

Similar to fanta510's issue, I've had some problems with the stitching. Specifically, the zipper on the rear pocket came off the first time I used the rear pocket (when I wore the jersey on its first long-distance ride, after I'd had it for about a week and a half). The stitching around the zipper came apart as well. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased about this, considering the item's oft-mentioned-in-this-thread steep price. Rather than sending it back to EWR, I brought the jersey to a tailor in my neighborhood and he fixed the stitching and attached a new zipper.

In summary, I'm happy with the jersey and I definitely feel like I'm getting enough use out of it to justify the price (but I'm a big proponent of merino wool over synthetics anyway, and I accept that that means I pay a little more). Only major problem has been that rear pocket zipper; if it hadn't fallen off so quickly/easily, this review probably would have been much more glowing.

Originally Posted by fanta510
http://www.earthwindandrider.net/pro...cat=210&page=1

Their hoodie is great, but the stitching came apart in two places within weeks. EWR kindly took it back and repaired the hoodie, but it took over two months to get it back. Another seam has split, and I simply don't want to deal with a lengthy repair that should be taken care of quickly. I might repair it this time around, but I shouldn't have to do such a thing for its price.

Last edited by vena_cava; 11-12-09 at 08:34 AM.