View Single Post
Old 11-12-09, 10:31 PM
hedgeapple

Bikes: (1)Raleigh Gran Prix, bought new 28 Dec '72 from Southeast Cycles on Pennsylvania Ave in Washington, DC; 2) '06 Specialized Rockhopper; 3) steel Raleigh SC30 of indeterminate age, drop bars, all-road tourer/commuter; 4) '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Why do you want to just read that the bike you enjoy is terrible? Does not handle, and what you really need is a low trail French Rando' bike?
**********??

Why would I not want to do and be the best I can?

I like my Raleigh, I've had it since new, and I'm not gonna let it rot in the garage; but I'm also interested in the technical side of cycling, just as I am with motorcycling, engines, the farm, meteorology and just about anything else I've been involved with.
For what it's worth, I don't do brevets, though there's nothing to say I won't sometime in the future. If and when I do, I'll be on the Raleigh. What I am planning for the near future is a pukka touring bike with appropriate braze-ons and so forth. Since I like the Raleigh's character and wish not to change it, my only alternative is another bike. I can't test ride that which must be ordered, but I can sure do my homework, or at least try to.
I have a Rockhopper so I won't have to ride the Raleigh on our sand & gravel farm roads. Pickin' the tool for the job doesn't mean I've no use for others.