retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mastershake916
Okay, this is what you do.
1) Mask of a box that encompasses the autograph. give yourself about a 1.5 centimeters of space from the closest point of the autograph.
2) Get some high quality clear coat and spray it down, make sure to get some that is at least a little tolerant of some oil & dirt, because you can't clean the area.
3) After giving it the appropriate number of coats, waiting long enough and cleaning the paint, mask off another area along the border of the cleared/noncleared area that that will create a thin line, half of which is in the cleared area and half of which isn't. Primer it, then spray it with some spray it with some gloss black paint.

And you're done. You're left with an autograph that's completely protected and has a nice "frame" around it.

I mostly like mastershake916's suggestions. For number 2 you could probably use a tack cloth to clean the area. Not sure about number 3.

Originally Posted by kpug505
I wouldn't clear it...There would be no way the clear would stick without scuffing the paint unless it's not a catalyzed factory finish (which I seriously doubt)...It would flake off and probably take the sig with it...

A possible solution is to use a clear primer like Dupli-Color® Adhesion Promoter that doesn't require sanding (its used as a primer on chrome surfaces for Dupli-Color's Metalcast Anodized Color paints). You might want to test it on your beater bike or some piece of junk frame first just to be safe.

stan