Old 11-16-09, 05:51 PM
thermador
Bike Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Thanks guys. For some reason I was unable to access BF the last two days.

Funnily the general concensus at the Surly Google groups is that someone with my dimensions would be best suited with a 54, while here its a 52.

As the standover height is fine with the 54, and its in stock, I think I will order that with a 90cm stem, and the option to switch to a 75cm stem if required.
I think you made the right decision. It's better to get the right frame for your legs and then change the stem length to fit your reach, than to be stuck with a frame that doesn't fit your inseam. Check out this chart - according to it, you should be riding a 54 to 56 based on height, or a 57 based on inseam.* This tells me that you probably have A LOT of seatpost showing on that Cannondale to fit comfortably - indeed, you have a 50cm bike with a 52.5cm TTH, so that bike is probably too small for you.

So I would definitely go with at least a 54 for a touring bike, since the goal of a touring bike is not time trials and huge saddle-to-bar drop, but rather a more upright riding position and a higher handlebar that is closer to level with the saddle. If your Trek was comfortable (53cm TTH), then a 54 LHT should be as well, since the TTH is only 53.5.

*In the past I've noticed that this particular chart tends to choose larger frames than other charts, resulting in a more upright riding position. It's probably not a good chart if you're sizing a racing bike, but I think it works well for commuter bikes and tourers.