View Single Post
Old 11-16-09, 10:51 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
I find you have to size down one size with the LHT because they are way longer than anything else on the market in a given size.

To the OP. it may be true that the reach is the same but the height of the bars is not as you point out. How does that affect you arm to torso angle I wonder? I am asking genuinely.

Try this:

sit as if you are on your road bike holding the bars. If you sit up bending only at the waist and keeping your arm to torso angle the same your hands come back. This means to be comfortable you must bring the bars closer to you as you raise them.

So, if the 54cm gives you the same horizontal reach but the bars are higher it will be too long as you should get the 52.
I did exactly what you suggested and you are absolutely right. I would need a shorter total reach, and thats why have decided on a 54 with either a 60mm 35*, 75mm 35* or 80mm stem.

I think short high rise stems are quite acceptable on touring bikes? SO I'll dial in the reach with the stem, and pray that I wont later say 'should have listened to cycltoine'