Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by dwhitlow
I'm a life-long Athsma sufferer and have been on a mix of things since I was a kid. As an adult, I think the best luck I've had is with Advair to control my asthma, making the use of my emergency inhaler a lot less frequent. I've tried both using my fast-acting inhaler before a workout and not using it with similar results to others in the thread. It does 'open up' my lungs before a workout, but I've always worried about using that as a crutch, so I've generally avoided it when I can. At this point, the Advair as a preventative measure does the trick for me, and I can work up a good sweat without triggering an attack. Your mileage may vary. I'd recommend the same as the other poster who mentioned seeing a doctor who specializes in asthma. Lots of advances in the last couple of years.

Good luck.
-Don
Let's hear it for Advair, and may their patent run out soon! One can get almost the same effect by purchaing the two medications contained in Advair separately. Depends on your insurance formulary.

You should be able to tell whether it's an attack or just out of breath by taking a deep breath and expelling it as hard as possible. If it's an attack, you'll hear a definite wheeze, otherwise not.