PetesDustyVolvo
cheap transportation

Bikes: '84 Motobecane Jubilee Sport, ~93 Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap Carbon hardtail dilemna - Giant Cadex

I got a free Giant Cadex hardtail from my coworker who used to race it. It had some really old Marzocchi fork on it, cantilivers, 7 speed Deore, flat bar, decent tires and a real ass-hatchet for a seat.

Long story short, I put a 80mm Rockshox SID that I had laying around on it, tuned up the cantis and swapped to some wimpy, narrow riser bars that were also in the parts bin.

I've been riding it around like this for a couple weeks, when I'm not riding my Ted Wojcik XC fully, and I'm mildly impressed with the bike. Its not a complete pile of crap and I'm almost tempted to put some money into it. The SID is used and abused and the bars have got to go...

So I decided to do some measurements before I got too crazy. I'm pretty handy with Autocad so I measured the frame as it stands and also traced a photograph of the bike taken at a right angle to the frame. Both measurements showed a ~68 degree HTA and a ~70 degree STA. This is with a 80mm SID....

So I'm sort of concerned that the geometry is just too dated and maybe i should hang it up for future guests and put my money and time into something more modern. But the frame is light and rides great! It just sucks that with an 80mm fork its already all slacked out. Anyone got any input?

PS its a CFM-1 for anyone who cares

Last edited by PetesDustyVolvo; 11-20-09 at 12:37 PM.