Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Pick one without a-holes.

Srsly. Forget the shop discounts and/or other crap. Pick based on the riders. You either like riding or racing with them or you don't. Don't pick based on really liking 1 or 2 guys either - because as soon as you do those guys will leave the team and you'll be stuck.

We got a ton of guys this year because of the following reasons:
1. We had a ton of guys showing up to race EVERY race.
2. We didn't have a lot of people that just wore a jersey and said they raced but only showed up once or twice a year.
3. We all hung out as friends and networked professionally outside of racing and it showed.
4. I hate this new forum format. Can't even tell what I am typing. Bucket of blechy meh.
5. We didn't charge dues, get hung up on fees, expect anyone to do anything, worry too much about our kit, etc. Buy a jersey....you're on the team. Can't buy one? Borrow one....you're on the team.
6. We raced heads-up and treated everyone with respect - for the most part. As a result we naturally found ourselves bs'n with classy racers after each race - which naturally led to them asking about the team.

Everyone stayed....becuase of the people. The shop pissed everyone off at some point during the year. A lot of us lost our jobs and wouldn't have been able to pay dues. More than a fewof us covered race fees for those who couldn't.....and we raced. Cat1's and 2's chilled with 5's. 3's didn't talk smack.....it was a beautiful and weird thing.