View Single Post
Old 11-20-09, 07:13 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I'll get pics of my 2 posted in a couple days (weather permitting) but meanwhile...
Oldpeddler: can you give us the serial numbers from your '70 Mistral (and for the Typhoon, too, if it's not too much to ask) that may help me with dating my Super Mistral.
Thanks,
Sure thing, unworthy1 - I can't do it straight away, it's 1am over here and my neighbours won't appreciate all the workshop alarms sounding as I open up and turn them off! I'll go out first thing in the morning. Kilgarrif's site is a good starting point for pre 1965 frames, especially in identifying if your frame is a factory or shop (built to customer spec) model. The shop numbers run in the same sequence but about ten times more frames were built in the factory every year, so that makes a difference. I had help in dating the Typhoon from another C&V member who was going to Mario Vaz finishers in London to collect his resprayed Hobbs. Mario used to work at Holdsworth and they checked the old catalogues as well. I had it down to about a 1956 shop built Typhoon, but David & Mario pegged it more closely to 1954. The Mistral was easier - I bought it used from SJS Cycles in Bridgewater, Somerset UK and they provided the manufature year!