Old 11-20-09, 10:26 PM
mcgreivey
STFD

Bikes: '80 Windsor Carrera Sport, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, '10 Giant Escape 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friction isn't the issue. I've tried 5 different shifters, different cables and housing, with no real difference. The last thing I did was put the original DT shifters back on, thinking they would certainly have the least possible friction (bar-mounted shifters add friction from the added casing, and the potential for added compression flex with spiral housing, which is what I have on hand). The DT shifters made little difference.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident the problem is chain/FW incompatibilty. I'm going to fish around on the Bay and figure out what I can afford now. I'll go with a non-ultra 5-, 6-, or 7-speed FW with the current 8-speed chain, or a 9-speed chain on the current Ultra FW. If I do the last thing, I have an 8-speed bike that is about due for a new chain anyway, so nothing lost there...

canopus suggested a Campagnolo 9C chain. How does it differ from other 9-speed chains? Width? sideplate design?

EDIT:
It's actually Campagnolo C9, not 9C, apparently, based on my ebay search. Not expensive, either. Cheaper than a new FW (+ redishing, for a 6- or 7-speed).

Thanks all!!

Last edited by mcgreivey; 11-20-09 at 10:31 PM.