View Single Post
Old 11-22-09, 04:44 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by carkmouch
While stealth camping is fun and worthwhile, you don't have to find a rough patch of woods in order to camp. On my tour this summer I always found small town parks and churches in the country as good places to set up a tent. Most of the time no one was around, so I didn't ask, but no one noticed anything and I left without a trace.

You should try to ask if you can stay in a church lawn or town park, but if you can't you wont be in any big trouble. Small town and country people can be very nice and they'll most likely be too curious about you as a traveling cyclist than they are worried about you camping for a night.
I have often camped in churchyards or town parks in the rural US. Asking the local police usually gives a lead. More often on my last tour I asked someone at the convenience store or general store. In that case I didn't request permission, I just asked if I was likely to be bothered. Wait staff, clerks, librarians, police, firemen, and just folks I met all have been of assistance.

If you will be traveling on an Adventure Cycling route many places to stay for free will be listed on the maps, or at least they are on the Trans America maps. Several times we stayed indoors in churches on the TA.

The town parks are usually my first option in the more rural portion of the US. They range from a grassy lot with a gazebo or pavilion, to a facility with athletic fields, restrooms, showers, and a pool.

I consider stealth camping as a last resort and generally don't need too.

I suspect that you will have more trouble finding places to camp in the East than the rest of the country, but while I am from the east coast I have only toured here as a portion of the Trans America and stayed with family and friends most of the time here. So I don't have much experience here.