View Single Post
Old 11-23-09, 10:03 AM
dadoes
Ride that bike!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about speed, sometimes you may hit the mid twenties, sometimes you will be crawling up a hill. Don't worry about DNFs because you aren't going to quit, right? If you have a mechanical, it is generally out of your control - don't think about that. You will do better than you think, but a goal of "not to DNF" will seem ridiculous after the race.

Here is a little bit of advise that I wish I had my first race:

On the line, setup on the outside. If someone gets called up in front of you, don't be shy, move your butt up as far as you can go. With about 20 seconds to gun apply pressure to your brakes, clip in, apply pressure to the clipped pedal at 2 '0 clock, bend your elbows, grit your teeth. When the gun goes, push yourself with your planted foot and push your arms out, stomp the pedal as hard as you can go, go around the mass confusion in the middle. Don't worry about clipping the other pedal if it doesn't happen at first, just pedal hard - imagine crazed rabies infected skunks are chasing you.

Why?
Every wheel on that first corner after your front wheel, is behind you, and must pass you, thus spend extra energy to get around you. You just have to hold on to your spot - pass if you can, if being passed LET THEM BY. On the last lap, even better the penultimate lap, push it as hard as you can and remember, there is no shame in sprinting for second to last.

Enjoy!