Old 11-24-09, 12:51 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skijor
I religiously run my W106's at 65 psi. Yes the rolling resistance is very noticeable compared to the regular commuter tires. And I disagree with electrik, the studs do play a big part in that rolling resistance. Greater pressure = smaller footprint and more wear on the studs though the increase in risk from running at 80-85 psi vesus 65 psi would be negligible. If anything, you'd have more stud contact at higher pressure since the studs are essentially in the center.
Well, how much percentage wise does a "big part" mean? To be honest, I don't see a real need to exceed the manufacturers max psi recommendations. If you over-inflate the tire you will have less tread contact, a harsher ride and it may not even lower the rolling resistance over-all due to all the bumping around over bits of snow and ice. I don't know this w016 tire but unless the studs are exactly in the centre of the tire then the more you inflate it the less the studs will contact the ground. I doubt one would need more than 65psi to get those studs off the pavement unless you're a husky fellow.

As a side note, i think a lot of the perceived rolling resistance is just the negative effect of the heavier tire on acceleration, something which can slow you down over-all a lot more if you're stopping and starting in traffic.