Thread: Peugeot PXR80?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-09, 09:06 PM
tacomee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First off, I've heard a lot about *barely ridden* old bikes. It's hardly ever true. Bikes get ridden, parts wear out. Most 80's bikes take $100 worth of parts to get them road worthy...plus you'll need tools and know how if you want to do it yourself. It's not rocket science and many folks find it fun and rewarding. People roll 80's bikes into bike shops all the time...and drop $$$$ getting them fixed. A good shop in Seattle or SF will charge $300 + to rehab an older bike.

The Peugeot your looking at is a cool funky bike.....but it's not a new bike. Ride an old 80s clunker and then go to a bike shop and ride a new bike. Big, big difference. If the old bikes were so great....why don't companies make them anymore?

Don't get me wrong...old bikes are really fun and rewarding. I've owed a whole lot of them, spent a lot of time and money messing with them. Pure fun. But it's possible to buy new touring bikes for less than $1200 now, and those bikes are better than anything vintage, performance wise.

The Surly LHT (or the other low budget touring bikes out now) are the best value in cycling...ever!