Old 11-27-09, 12:50 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
motorists have every right to expect bicyclists to ride on the shoulder?

I didn't realize ignorance of the law was a right. why would the drivers have the right to expect bicyclists on the shoulders of roads? The only 'rights' involved there are a mistaken impression of bicyclists' rights.

Shoulders in rural areas makes sense. cant put shoulders on most urban roads, so roadway bicycling and roadway bike lanes are the only practical choices.

Shoulders may be developed for bicyclists. but a shoulder is not a bikelane, and a bikelane is not a shoulder.

improved shoulders improve highway conditions for bicyclists along rural roads; bikelanes are integrated with the main roadway and are integrated with the roadway striping between the edges of the travelled way of a road.

yes, considering there are major differences between typical rural, urban and suburban roads, bicyclists are to be expected and planned for on all roads (expect limited access roadways) so motorists should NOT be expecting or have the 'right' to see us bicycling on the shoulders of roads- they do not have the 'right' to carry that discriminatory ignorance about bicyclists.
Bekologist,

I agree that sadly way to many motorists are woefully ignorant when to both the law(s) as they apply to cyclists or their rights to be on certain roads. Sadly as I am sure we all know that even extends to LEOs who are suppose to know better.

I also agree that if roads are properly designed and laid out that there should be enough room for road users to safely coexist and use them to get where they want to go. Be it someone who is using their bike for transportation, exercise, or recreation. As well as the driver who is driving to/from work, going to the park or who is just out for a "Sunday drive." We should all be able to use the various roads and be safe in doing so.