Old 11-30-09, 01:56 PM
suzun

Bikes: '09 Langster Seattle RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urban lady rider needs advice on purchase of new SS (Origin 8 vs Iro?)

Some asshat stole my Specialized Langster Seattle from in front of my job on a Sunday afternoon, so it's time for a new SS. It was less than six months old so it's pretty heartbreaking to see it go. At the same time, I find that I'm ready for something a little more aggressive. The Seattle had kind of cruiser-y handlebars and I'm on the tall side, so I ride with the seat all the way back, and in my test rides I've liked shortish flatbars. I ride 5.5 miles from BK to Manhattan to commute, frequently in heels and with a bag on my back, so there is a middle ground of aggressiveness I need to strike. I'm not sure if I've found it yet.

I've tried:
Origin8 Uno, the '10, which is fender- and rack-friendly - loved it, smooth, but the bullhorns aren't my favorite. I need it to be sunny so I can try the 56 at Continuum - I've only ridden a smaller one at Manhattan Velo and think I need the 56.
Iro Phoenix - I love that it's still reasonably priced fully customized on the Iro build-a-bike website. I'd get with it with flat bars and a black seatpost and the Iro clip pedals - any idea where to ride one? Continuum is a dealer but only has a Mark V frameset.
Langster San Francisco - loved how it felt, but can't abide its ugliness
Binachi Pista which was too small, fixed, no clips and I rode it in the rain on Irving :(
Surly Steamroller - rode it fixed, with drops. it's off the list for exbf reasons. whoops!
Trek Soho - just ugh. too sporty and upright.

I've also sat on some real track bikes - one of Continuum's steel frames with drops - sexy! Light! Scary. Speaking of scary, I also rode some weird single speed in the $300 range at Manhattan Velo. Ouch.

Any advice for anything I've missed in my hunt is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for dealz since I ride everywhere in all weather and need to lock it outside with a clear conscience when I'm toolin' around.

Thanks in advance for any advice or bossiness! I have enjoyed reading other posts from you guys.

Susan