View Single Post
Old 03-28-05, 01:15 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rlodewell
This is a difficult question to frame properly, and might be impossible to answer.

I am riding a hybrid now. I want to get a road bike – I think.

My only concern is whether I will find a road bike comfortable enough to ride long distances. I haven’t been on a road bike since the 70s. I turned 50 last August.

So, I’m wondering, how long do I need to give it to know whether I will be comfortable on a road bike? Can I tell in a 5 minute ride that it is either the bike for me, or not the bike for me?

I realize every person is different, and each individual body reacts differently. Perhaps there is no way to know short of riding one for awhile.

I’m just hoping there might be a consensus opinion.

You want to focus on the riding position first, ask the LBS if they can let you try the bikes on a trainer first, I find this help determine 1) position on the bike and necessary adjustments before tryiog outside 2) eliminate bikes I definitly don't like. Not many LBS do that, always ask. Then I guess, come equipped and go for a long ride, they'll surely hold your credit card anyway
Many manufacturers now do a performance and comfort line (often called sport), the comfort/sport you will probably like better.