Old 12-10-09, 12:10 PM
old and new

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice find ! 28 x 1 5/8 = 700c wheels, the most popular size, a more racey size traditionally. These days though most lightweight road bikes including current tourers use the size. Just about everything including the wheels is standard. The threading and other dims. are commonly used on most bikes the past 25 years and beyond in the case of better bikes. It's an English Co. who amoung other things provided bikes to Eddy Merckx early on in his carreer. Being English; the crank threads, stem... all super regular. It's harder to find stuff that won't fit than will. Parts from another junk bike for instance could be swapped over. I'll only comment towards its worth by satating that Falcons are a brand of interest and good quality. Historically important' all this well documented.
Just think regular, free even, it's a no brainer. The rear spacing as you've meas. is typically more like 120mm than 127 (126 = proper), good job meas. it and the small disparity if there is one, SO doesn't matter. Finding a wheel with a freewheel (cogs set) in 6sp. is easier and is officially 126mm. Having a shop or otherwise having access to a temp. loaner will help you sort that out if you're skeptical.
Changing it to fixed gear ?? Up to you, I hate it. "heavy" don't get it. If you've not exp. the whole fixie trip yet, I've little possitive input. The frame isn't heavy. You mentioned tires, the last thing to go on the bike; 28s might be nice. 23s ARE skinny and 25 is only marginally fatter.
LOADS o' stuff on the internet using Google so I don't understand that reckoning on your part. I can see the bike get perfectly rideable at VERY little cost, rendering a very cool bike from another that's bogus.