Old 12-14-09, 10:36 PM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laws differ across our jurisdictions. I briefly tossed the issue up against my Tennessee laws.

Title 55 Chapter 8 Rules of the Road

“55-8-172. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles — Penalty. —

(a) Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway is granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title, except as to special regulations in §§ 55-8-171 — 55-8-177, and except as to those provisions of this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title that by their nature can have no application."

So in Tennessee a bicycle rider gets the rights and responsibilities of a vehicle driver except as superseded by special regulations or direction by regulations that can't apply. This clearly circumscribes the circumstances where bicycle rules may differ from the general rules. Nothing about pulling over in the special regulations. We do have the usual FRP provision in 55-8-175. So unless there's some particular exemption in any other provisions, they'll apply.

Tennessee's impeding traffic law:

“55-8-154. Minimum speed regulation — Turnouts — Passing bays — Penalties. —

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.”

And there's the specific text slicing bicycles out of the minimum speed regulation – a bicycle can't impede traffic in Tennessee, only a motor vehicle can.

I'm surprised it's so clear. I thought there was a 5 car pullover law. If there is, I couldn't find it this evening.