View Single Post
Old 12-14-09, 11:10 PM
Vienna1897

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tension Setting on Indoor Trainer

I bought a CycleOps Fluid Indoor Trainer two weeks ago, and I've been using it regularly since. One thing I've been trying to gauge is what would constitute the correct tension setting between the rear tire and the trainer roller. The general recommendation is that one should make sure the tire doesn't slip on the one hand, and isn't so tight it's hard to move on the other. Unfortunately, there is a significant range between those two extremes. When I'm out on the road, I usually average about 17.5mph on long rides, and about 18.5mph on days when I've feeling particularly good. In order to determine how much I've trained in a given day outside, I look at both my mileage and my average speed, but that is harder to do indoors with the trainer, mostly because the average speed is affected so significantly by the tension setting.

Ultimately, I'd like to have the trainer set up to give me an experience as similar to what I do on the road as is realistically possible. Any input/thoughts would be appreciated.