View Single Post
Old 12-15-09, 02:37 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
No I haven't exceeded the limits with my son and don't plan to in excess.

I have done only about 60mi of testing with an equivalent 'dummy' load mostly cruising over 30kph and occasionally peaking at 40kph - also testing hard stops, cornering, bumps, etc. - wanting to learn the limits and feel, even learning about jackknifing the trailer w/emergency stops down hill, or learning what happens if one takes a corner fast - a limited experience, but so far one that has resulted in finding trailering to be easier than I expected.

The reason I ask is not about 'time trials' or workouts at all, it is about moving at a comfortable natural feeling pace and not having to be overly conscious of always keeping below a specific read out on the computer vs. what feels right for the moment. Sometimes keeping below specific speed can be 'harder' than just riding where it feels right. I am not talking about crazy speeds, just wanting a sense of overly focusing on 25kph vs. some excursions up to ~30kph under the right conditions. After the comfort I found testing at 30-35kph I wondered about the reasons for the 25kph limit.

Of course the easy 'right' answer is don't think about it, but wondered if others had any experience to share. No one needs to tell me the importance of keeping my passenger safe or the hazards of intersections, slick roads, etc.

Another consideration is the trailer is rated for a 75lb passenger load. My son is 25lbs now. I would think this limit is for the full load, after all handling a 100lb loaded trailer is quite different than a 50lb loaded trailer.

Last edited by noisebeam; 12-15-09 at 02:42 PM.