dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jhefner
Another TAB question: I have a son who has Downs, and is now 11. I just got back into cycling, along with his older brother this year. I would like to have him join us.

I could get him a 20" bike with training wheels; but in addition to learning how to balance; he doesn't know the rules of the road, and I am afraid he will get hurt. I think in the beginning he will also tire easily.

I tried out a 20" trail-a-bike at the LBS, and it fits him. My only concern is his weight -- he weighs a little over 100 lbs. I noticed that TABs are usually rated at 85 lbs.

What do you all think? Will it work fine; even if he is a little over the limit? I noticed that some of you are attaching trailers to your TAB, so I am guessing equipment failure is not the issue; but trying to keep him balanced until he gets the hang of it?

I hope he can get the hang of the TAB; and I can promote him later to his brother's 24" bike, and buy a road bike for him. Thanks in advance.

-James
When we first started out with the Trail-a-Bike, my daughter had a very hard time not swaying badly at low speeds. It was hard with 50 lbs for me I can imagine 100 would be very hard. That said, if he can ride without being panicky or playing around too much I don't think it would be too much of a problem. Try it out in safe places first.