Old 12-15-09, 07:45 PM
mike868y

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Fact remains, race wheels are just that: race wheels.

I'm a firm believer that you should have a set of race only wheels, and train mostly on your 'regular'/'training' wheels. There's no point destroying a 1.5k wheelset during a solo ride. But hell, you bought them to ride them, so ride them in group rides. Most of the time, I'll ride my 'race' wheels the day before a race to 'get used to them' again.

If you can afford 2 wheelsets, I would do what CDR has done and buy 2 of the same wheels but one in clincher and the other in tubular form. The tubulars are race only, while the clinchers are everyday wheels which serve as pit wheels. Carbon hoops have come a long way. Most of them aren't super fragile. If you're nervous, get the cylde build.

The reason people are pissy is because this has been done to death.

For a CAT 3 or better that is a logical recommendation, but for someone starting in CAT 5 it is kind of risky to race nice wheels in a crit. Even if you have the money to buy them, what is the point? They won't help results at all and you risk loosing >$1.5K every race. I would say invest in some solid training wheels (OP/Ultegra, Kinlin XR300 rims w/ a good hub, or even some ksyriums) then when the guy gets up to CAT 3 get some good race wheels.