Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
If cyclists depended on drivers' courtesy they wouldn't be able to go anywhere on a bike.
I got over a quarter of a million miles of almost trouble free riding to prove you wrong.

I wouldn't say cyclists are insignificant. That depends on the area. On any given day during my commute in NYC there are more cyclists on the streets that motorcycles. Does that mean motorcycles are insignificant?
By cherry picking places and times, you can prove anything. There wasn't a single bike on the road this past week when we had a blizzard. This proves bicycles are irrelevant? Well, in fact, it sure shows some of their limitations.

And yes, we are allowed to take a full lane. I see nothing childish or simplistic about it. It's a fact that most road users are oblivious to.

Adam
And most cyclists as well. They fall into two groups...

(1) The critical mazzhole/delivery clique, who want a lane, 3 feet, and road rules except when it isn't convenient for them (aka hypicrites) and
(2) courteous rides such as myself, who have no problem with traffic going by me to my left when I am going 8 mph in a 35 mph zone. I am in my lane (the shoulder) they are in their lane, and we all lived happily ever after. When there is no shoulder and I am FRAP, the vast majority of vehicles give me more than enough room for them to pass safely. Whether that margin needs to be 3 feet depends on conditions.

roughstuff

Last edited by Roughstuff; 12-16-09 at 03:14 PM.